Chapter 4

Sann's POV

As Christopher and Sann got closer to the commander's tent, Sann started feeling something in the depths of her stomach. Emotions that these humans were so familiar with was turning out to be much more complicated and unsettling than Sann would have thought.

Her best guess was that she was nervous. That's why she felt like her stomach was restless. As if Christopher felt her uneasiness, he turned his head to look at her over his shoulder. "Don't worry. Commander just wants to meet you, nothing more. If you are to stay with us until we get back to town, he needs to know who you are." Christopher explained.

Sann looked away for a moment. Who was she? She didn't even remember. How could she explain what she didn't know to the commander.

"I don't remember who I am." Sann said in reply. An ache, rooted deep in her chest started sprouting back up.

Luckily, Christopher seemed to know that would be a problem and had thought ahead for a solution. He slowed down his step and leaned slightly in to whisper to Sann as they walked. "I will speak for you. I will tell the commander that I found you in the forest and a group of smugglers were attacking you. A blow to the head during their attack on you will explain your memory loss." Christopher said.

Then he added, "We can leave out the part where you have fallen out of the sky and that you are..." he stopped to think for a minute but did not finish his sentence. "Let's just not indulge any information that would complicate things." He paused for a moment, shook his head and muttered, "I don't even know what to do with it."

Sann looked at Christopher from the corner of her eye and licked her lips, suddenly more aware of the fact that she was in enemy territory with no allies. "What would happen if more people found out about..." she didn't think she needed to finish her sentence.

She looked around at the other humans in the camp. The same ones she was looking at with curiosity, now seized her up to determine what they were capable of. Christopher looked straight ahead as they marched on and simply replied with, "Let's not find out."

Everyone they passed looked at Sann with inquisitive eyes. All of them looked all the more intimidating now that they had potential to be her enemies. She squared off her shoulders and lifted her chin. She wasn't accepting a defeat to a battle that hadn't begun. The only one that wasn't looking at Sann was the human next to her. It hadn't occurred to her before but the only one who knew of her real origin might just as be reproachful as her.

"Are you scared of me Christopher?" Sann asked as she tried not to notice every movement and every sound going around the camp passing by.

Christopher stopped walking abruptly and Sann stopped with him, her heart beat increasing for a danger she couldn't see yet. But he only turned towards her and looked into her eyes. "Should I be afraid milady?" He asked but he really didn't look like he needed an answer.

Sann tilted her head ever so slightly, just enough to see the last lights of the sun being reflected from the high of his cheekbones. "I don't know." She answered in what she hoped was a non threatening answer.. She herself wasn't really certain what she could do or whether humans should be afraid of her.

Christopher looked back at her for another moment, looking like he was considering something and then nodded as he seemed to come to a conclusion. "Well, if you do plan on hurting me at some point milady, I would kindly ask of you to give me ahead's notice." And then his mouth quirked up at its corner showing a glimpse of white teeth with amusement evident in his eyes.

It was hard to look away from his gaze as his smile infectiously spread to her face making her smile. Just like that, the tension she felt earlier lifted a bit from her shoulders, and she felt a bit more at ease looking at the familiar yet unknown human in front of her. She nodded. "I shall do my best."