Little Blue Box

"We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall mutually satisfying weirdness-and call it love-true love."

-Robert Fulghum

Chapter 18

I was in a point in my relationship where it seemed as if it were a movie of some sorts. It was just so surreal. We were perfect, it was the type of relationship I dreamed about. I mean, of course, we weren't always smiles, sunshines, and rainbows. But we had gotten to a level of fantastic mutual understanding.

Christmas was quickly approaching, and so was my stress. My Latin grade was dropping considerably and my friends from Kansas had planned a visit. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but they were the types of friends you could only do in small doses. I had no clue how I was going to survive sharing a room with the two sisters, who fight over everything.

"Emily, they're here," my mom calls up the stairs.

Inwardly, I groan as I get up from my bed. Making a grand entrance, I walk down the staircase slowly, all head turn towards me.

"Emily!" the sisters squeal and envelope me into a hug.

"Hey y'all!" I chuckle, somewhat nervously.

"Emily, it's so good to see you," their mother says, as I turn to face her.

"It's good to have you here," I say as I give her a hug. Instantly, my mom and their mom are off talking and my dad and brother were only god knows where, they were lucky that they could hide.

"Well, I guess we should take your guys's bags up," I mutter, breaking the silence, and awkward look my friend was giving me.

"Okay," Ainslie, the younger sister, the one that's my age, squeals. She grabs her suitcase and runs up the stairs before I even have a chance to move. Morghan, the oldest, just smiles and follows her sister up the stairs. I rub my temples. This was going to be a long week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well why don't you stop hogging the shower in the morning," Ainslie bites at Morghan.

"Sorry I actually want to look good, instead looking like a homeless person," Morghan retorts.

If I could rub my temples, I would. It had only been a day. One freaking day. They couldn't last day without tearing at each other's necks. I wanted to claw my eyes, well more preferably my ears, out. They had been at it all day, all through lunch, all through shopping, and now on the drive to the beach.

And to make matters worse, Nick was probably off having lunch with that slut. His words, not mine. He called her a slut, but is evidently 'best friends' with her. Best friends my ass. When I say, do whatever you want, I do not mean do whatever you want. I mean do what I want unless you want to be single. But evidently, he doesn't know me well enough to do that, which he should. Fuck you Nick.

Just as I am mentally cursing at Nick and screaming at the sisters to "shut the hell up", my phone goes off. It's from Nick.

Hey, I didn't go to lunch with her.

Ok.

We need to talk.

What the hell do we need to talk about? There's nothing to talk about. Is this it? Is it over? Part of me was secretly hoping it was, he was really getting on my nerves today. But the other part of me didn't want it to be.