kairos

kairos
/ˈkīräs/

noun

1. the perfect, delicate, crucial moment; the fleeting rightness of time and place that creates the opportune atmosphere for action, words, or movement.

_____________________________________________________

His blank faced, empty eyed, unfamiliar reflection stares back at him. Baekhyun tightens his grip on the sides of the bathroom sink until his knuckles are straining from the effort.

This whole past month had been an absolute nightmare. With EXO's comeback fast approaching, everyone's tension level seemed to skyrocket. The managers had been bitching at them and calling them out 24/7. Everyone seemed to be getting on each other's nerves due to the stress and you had to tread carefully around the dorm lest you set someone off. On top of that, Baekhyun had spent the past hour scrolling through negative comments about him and EXO on social media and his morale was unhealthily low. Nothing he did seemed to work. He couldn't get the choreography down right and was having difficulty with certain notes of the title track. His diet was killing him and his workouts were gruesome. By this point, he was literally hanging onto his last thread of sanity.

And the last straw had been earlier today when he'd accidentally overheard the managers discussing how Yixing was most probably not going to be included in the comeback. Instead, he was to head back to China and stay there for god knows how long.

Baekhyun doesn't think he'll be able to bear the things that will be said about Yixing when the public finds out he won't be in the comeback. If he'shaving a hard time, how will his hyung feel? He doesn't want to see Yixing hurt again.

Letting out a deep, shuddery sigh, Baekhyun's gaze falls on the razor resting on the side of the sink. For a split second, a wonderful, terrible idea flits through his mind. A spike of adrenaline shoots through him at what he can potentially do with the blade. He can finally have some form of thecontrol he lusts after. Control over all the chaos. His fingers itch to carry out the deed and just as he reaches for the razor, his phone buzzes in his pocket, startling him out of his stupor. As he pulls the phone out, his hands tremble as the weight of what he'd been about to do, hits him.

Taking a bracing breath, he looks at the screen. It's a text from Yixing.

Yixing

You awake?

Baekhyun lets out a watery smile at that. Yixing—always to the rescue, whether he knows it or not. He types out his reply:

Baekhyun

Course. Why do u ask?

Yixing

Would you be willing to meet me at the recording studio?

Baekhyun

At this time?!!?!?

Yixing

It's not like we haven't stayed even later for work

Baekyun

Yeah... but that's work...

Yixing

Baek please. Just this once? For your favorite hyung ?

Baekhyun

*sighs* Well... if you put it that way... Fine. But this better be worth it

Yixing