forever

The credit for this wonderful idea (of baking cookies at midnight) goes to young_grasshopper (on aff). Thank you! <3

_____________________________________________________

Yixing started awake. He had been on the verge of dozing off but all of a sudden, he felt a falling sensation. His stomach dropped and he jolted awake. He looked up at the ceiling in confusion. The room was dark. Something was off.

Then it struck him. The other side of the bed was cold. Baekhyun's familiar body wasn't lying next to him. They'd been sleeping together for almost a week now and Yixing had to admit he'd gotten used to it and looked forward to their shared nights together.

Where was he?

All sorts of thoughts drifted through Yixing's mind. Maybe Baekhyun had decided he didn't like to sleeping next to him? Maybe he thought Yixing didn't want him? Anxiety filled the older man's stomach.

After a couple minutes, it became evident that Yixing wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep anytime soon. He decided to get up. He threw on a sweater over his boxers and ventured out into the hallway.

There was light and faint clattering coming from the kitchen. Someone else was awake.

Yixing padded down the hall to the kitchen and came across a sight that brought a smile to his lips.

Baekhyun's back was to him. His hair was tousled and sticking up in every direction possible. He was wearing one of Yixing's sweaters that was slightly too big on his smaller frame. He looked so warm like this. So soft. He looked like... home . Yixing knew that in Baekhyun's arms, he would always be welcome. That was one thing that he was absolutely certain of.

He snuck up behind the younger boy. He got right behind him and pounced forward to grab him by the waist in a back hug.

Startled, Baekhyun jumped in his arms and let out a squeal that was muffled by Yixing's hand over his mouth. The older man had expected that.

Removing his hand, Yixing leaned in and whispered in his ear, "What are you doing Baekhyun?"

"You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Yixing just chuckled softly and nuzzled his cheek against the younger boy's and pulled him in closer.

Baekhyun sighed dramatically and even though Yixing couldn't see his face, he was pretty sure he had rolled his eyes too but had a grudging smile on nevertheless.

"If you must know, I'm baking cookies," Baekhyun said.

"Baking cookies? At this time of night?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"When I was younger and I was stressed out or couldn't sleep or anything... my grandmother, she would call me over and we would bake cookies together," Baekhyun explained in a wistful tone. "It always helped. And- I don't know -I couldn't sleep and I just missed her and- well -warm chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven always remind me of her."

Yixing knew that all the members had their own ways of dealing with stress and pressure and anxiety and sadness and all a manner of other problems that came from living the life of an idol. Their own escapes. Minseok hyung would clean. Jongin would dance. Chanyeol would compose. Sehun would play with Vivi.

"Well I think that's absolutely wonderful. Honestly, your grandma sounds like the coolest person ever," Yixing murmured quietly, arms still around Baekhyun.