Chapter 33

I had hailed a taxi once I was outside. I needed to get my car from the gallery before it was towed.

The cab driver was silent and played country music, a sign on the window separating us saying that if I hated the music I'd have to take my problem and shove it up my ass.

Well, the sign was much nicer, but that's how I perceived the sign. I rolled my eyes and scrunched my nose at the funky smell in the cab.

I leaned back and pulled out my phone, glancing at the time. I sighed and closed my eyes.

I felt drained, wanting nothing more than my weekend to start and the time I could take to recharge. My eyelids felt heavy, and my heart felt like it was skipping beats from exhaustion.

Upon hearing the driver clear his throat, I opened my eyes and saw he parked in front of the building. I thanked him and handed him the money, telling him to keep the change for a new radio that played good music.

He had a few choice words for me and I chuckled as I walked to the parking lot, pulling out my cigarettes from my bag and placing one in the corner of my mouth as I dug around for my lighter.

When my fingers made contact with the cheap 7-11 plastic, I gripped it and lit my cigarette. I took a puff and felt the nicotine rush through me, making me get the chills. The first thing that's made me happy all day was something that slowly, but surely, killed me.

I let the smoke out of my lungs as I got to my car and felt my bag for my keys, but couldn't feel them. I sighed as I felt around for them in my jeans and sighed in relief as I felt them in my back pocket.

I pulled them out and quickly unlocked the door and climbed in, starting my car and letting her run as I put down my window. I looked at the clock and glared at the digital numbers.

7:43 was the time, and I took another puff from the cigarette. "Fuck it." I mumbled, putting my car into drive and leaving the art gallery.

I looked at the evening traffic, which wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. A few cars here and there, compared to the usual rush. But, then again, I wasn't on a main street.

I decided to just show up at Sarah's, knowing she's already going to tear me a new one for punching and embarrassing Jason like that. Didn't need her on my case for punctuality as well.

The ride to her house took a bit longer than expected, a fifteen minute drive to get to the quiet neighborhood she's lived in since childhood.

Her house was a dark red, her yard and garden looking beautiful. I quickly reached over to my glove compartment and opened it up, grabbing my perfume and doing a quick spritz on my neck and chest. She hated the smell of cigarettes, and even though the perfume wouldn't cover the smell all the way, she could tolerate it.

I grabbed my brush from my bag and ran it through my hair, turning my rearview mirror towards me. I made sure nothing was out of place and rolled up my window. I got out of the car, leaving my bag but grabbing my phone and keys.

I locked the doors and turned towards Sarah's house. I went onto the stone pathway she had leading to her deck and I stepped up onto the stairs.

Just as I raised my fist to knock, the door swung open and Sarah was standing there, smiling and wiping her hands on a rag. The smell of vanilla and food being made hitting me the moment she opened the door.

"Hey! You're on time for once." she exclaimed as she ushered me in and closed the door. I looked around and the living room, kitchen and dining room were nicely lit, giving that honey feel to the place. I sat on the chair near the door and took off my shoes, placing them near hers.