Chapter 65: Normal (prt. 2)

John's wedding speech. Bride and Groom dance. Honeymoon. Let's get this started.

Forgot to mention that this was the dress it's very similar to the dress my Mum wore when she got married so I decided to make it like this sorry that the picture is so big the chapter will be worth the scroll

---

Sherlock and I held hands on the table, and every so often he would pick mine up and bring it to his lips, kissing it gently. I looked over at John, who was glancing nervously from me to his champagne glass. Gently grabbing his other hand and squeezing it gently, giving him a reassuring smile. He was super nervous because it was time for his best man speech, and he wanted to make it perfect. Unfortunately this time, there was no Mary beside him. Getting ready, he clears his throat, shakily stands up, and clinks his glass. Sherlock smiles up at him, kissing your hand before turning his attention up to John. The conversation in the room dissipated as all eyes travelled to John.

"Hello." He said awkwardly, smiling at the crowd of people and setting his glass onto the table. "Today we witness a beautiful couple coming together to declare their love for each other. I got to see this couple blossom and they finally came together after much sexual tension and well... a little push." This earned a few laughs from the audience, I smiled a bit, an inside joke whispering around the room between only a certain number of people. "I've known (Y/N) since high school, and wow has it been a crazy ride since then. War, heartbreak, loss, friendships, even more heartbreak and some downright ass-kicking along the way. When Sherlock asked me to be his best man, I was honored - being as thought he was the best man at my wedding I think it's pretty well deserved." John was doing great, his lightheartedness and overall laid back attitude was totally selling it to the crowd, and I gave him a small smile to let him know how good he was doing. Not that I didn't expect it, but just seeing him this laid-back and relaxed is refreshing as his best friend. "I love both of these people dearly and I certainly wish them the best. Now, here's when most people would talk about embarrassing stories or funny exes that the bride and/or groom once had." I tensed up a bit, but still felt myself smiling as even I could think of a few good ones off the top of my head. "But, I'm not normal people so you're going to have to listen to the crazy things that I have to say with no particular order." The laughter in the room bubbled up for a second as John smiled fondly down at Sherlock and I, the both of us returning the same smiles.

"A man once said that marriage is like 'the death-watch beetle that is the doom of our society and, in time our entire species'." He glanced down at Sherlock, who smiled through his embarrassment. Character develop, anyone? "I do not think this is true. Marriage is - although can be silly or overdone at some times - beautiful, filled with tradition and nothing but compassion between two people who've decided to join together in more ways than one. I think it's beautiful and incredible. I've seen the both of these people develop and grow to become better people so that they can love each other, and let me tell you it was quite a beautiful sight. (Y/N), you've changed Sherlock in ways that I never thought possible. He found a way to love someone even if it hurt him through sentiment. And Sherlock, you've changed (Y/N) in ways she didn't even think possible. You brought her out of her grief-stricken shell and brought her into your life without a second thought; you improved her mind and helped her with her past memories, good and bad. I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's beautiful. It's absolutely beautiful. And I'm so happy that I got to witness the whole thing." I felt the tears and I desperately washed them away to keep my makeup from messing up, and smiled. "Thank you." He said, and clapping erupted from the room, even a few people stood up as John began to sit down. But before he could I came up to him and wrapped him in a big hug, squeezing tightly and choking back my tears as he hugged me back.