Chapter 25: Rich Brooks

Your POV

Honestly, I was scared shitless. John had met up with us to go to someone named "Kitty Riley"'s house. Sherlock didn't speak at all on the way there, but we broke into her house, sat on her couch and waited for her arrival. Now that she's here, I have the slightest feeling that she has to do with Moriarty. Why else would Sherlock bring me into some random girl's home?

"Congratulations. The truth about Sherlock Holmes." Sherlock said ruefully, using a hairpin to unlock the handcuffs on his hand. His hand becomes free and he starts working on my hand. "The scoop that everybody wanted and you got it. Bravo!" I grunt when the handcuff comes off, making Sherlock look at me with concern. I nod towards him as Kitty begins to talk.

"I gave you your opportunity. I wanted to be on your side, remember? You turned me down, so..." I roll my eyes at her, wanting to speak so badly, so I did. My finger grazes the thread.

"And then someone turns up and 'tells you the truth'. Who is Richard Brook?" I said annoyingly as I grab my wrist and rub it. Kitty shakes her head, refusing to tell me. "Oh come-on Kitty. Nobody trusts the voice at the end of the telephone." She still refuses, and I turn my head around, looking back towards Sherlock to take the lead.

It was like a tag team. It was funny really, it was like a game. I began to look her up and down as Sherlock talked.

"There are all those furtive little meetings in cafés..." His voice was drowned out to me as I was deep into deductions.

Ginger hair, a painfully bright orange. Naturally ginger, but uses dye to get the grey out of her hair. Professional woman. Light blue blouse with a darker blue blazer over it. Necklace, tight around neck, almost like a choker. Given to her by someone. Husband? No, divorced, tan line where the ring used to be on her finger. Boyfriend maybe. Lives with someone else, they're messy and young. In her mid-thirties judging by the way she wears her makeup and the crinkles underneath her eyes and forehead when he raises her eyebrows. Journalist, based on the notebook and pen in her left pocket.

"...What were his credentials?" Sherlock said sternly, snapping me out of my thoughts. Suddenly, the sound of someone coming from the main door in the hallway is heard, Kitty rises from her chair, a look of concern and worry on her face. A man pushes the door open. I turn to follow her gaze as I see... Moriarty.

My jaw drops a little and my breath hitches in my throat as he comes through the door, hair disheveled and wearing a cardigan, walking in with a shopping bag. "Darling, they didn't have any ground coffee so I just got normal..." He trails off when he sees us, three people whose lives he has ruined. Jim backs away until he bumps into the wall behind him, starting to tremble wit fear. I furrowed my brow at him.

"You said that they wouldn't find me here. You said that I'd be safe here." He said, voice shaky and trembling. My hands ball into fists as my anger threatens to boil over.

"You are safe, Richard. I'm a witness. He wouldn't harm you in front of witnesses." Kitty says, racing to his side and placing a hand on his shoulder. John points to Jim, with a face full of shock.

"So that's your source? Moriarty is Richard Brook?!" He yelled, baring his teeth slightly as he glares at Jim, breathing heavily in pure fury.

"Of course he's Richard Brook. There is no Moriarty. There never has been."

"W-What?" I croaked, shaking from anger and fear all at once.

"Look him up. Rich Brook – an actor Sherlock Holmes hired to be Moriarty." Sherlock stares at Jim, who is still holding his hands up nervously. Kitty stands up and hands me a file, I take it but I don't dare look at it. "Dr. Watson... (Y-Y/N)..." He trails off when he said my name. "You're good people. Don't... don't h... hurt me."