Chapter 21: He's back

Your POV

I yawned and stretched out on the small bed that I had. A couple months had passed since the "Irene Incident," Sherlock had saved her life by pretending to want to kill her, then by not. John, Sherlock and I almost went insane trying to find the Hound of the Baskervilles, which turned out that it was just a drug in the fog, simple as ever. We had many intriguing cases throughout these months.

Sherlock had become less of a private detective and more open to the public eye. Sure, at times it was a bit annoying because of all of the cameras and gifts and news stories, giving us nicknames and aliases. After a while I got used to it, Sherlock seemed neutral but it was clear he was a bit uncomfortable.

I walked out into the living room after throwing on a dressing gown and pulling my hair into a messy bun, not even bothering to ask about the mannequin hanging by his neck from the ceiling.

"Good morning." I chirped, and Sherlock looked up from his experiments and called me in to the kitchen.

"Good morning." He said in a hoarse voice, and I involuntarily smirked. That usually happened after he did something unintentionally sexy, which was every 10 minutes. A ding fills the air, obviously Sherlock's phone.

"I'm still never going to get used to the phone without he sigh." I said, giggling and running a hand through my messy hair. Sherlock laughed lightly as John annoyingly gets up.

"I'll get it shall I?" He said, picking up the phone and holding out the message to Sherlock. He doesn't look up, so I decide to take it.

My heart stops when I see the message, I become light headed and stumble backwards. Sherlock lifts his head just in time to catch me by the arm before I fall back completely. I start to hyperventilate. Oh god oh god no not again not again not again.

"(Y/N)?" Sherlock asks in a panic, grabbing me by the shoulders and looking into my eyes. Sheer panic clouded his features, as his multicolor eyes travelled up and down my body. "(Y/N) what's happening?"

"Hey, hey (Y/N) breathe alright? Tell us what's going on..." John coaxed me in a calm voice.

"H...H-He's... b-ba...ck." I manage to stutter out, before clearing my throat and trying again, though Sherlock clearly understood. "He's back." I said, stronger, turning the screen around so that he could see it.

Come and play.
Tower Hill.
Jim Moriarty x.

"Sherlock I can't. I can't do it again, I can't-" He cuts me off by pulling me into an embrace, placing a soft kiss on my temple.

"Shhhh... it's going to be okay. I won't let him hurt you."

"B-But I brought him into your lives." I said, pulling out of the hug and my eyes flicked between John and Sherlock. "I brought you guys danger."

"Hey." Sherlock said firmly, but his eyes were soft, a look that said it's going to be alright but also you didn't cause this. "Don't say that. Moriarty came back on his own terms."

"He's using me to get to you. What if I just disappeared?" He looked hurt now, his lips pursing and his eyes soft and whispering dark secrets.

"If you disappeared, Moriarty would still torment us. He's too deep into the game now. He's enjoying it too much." He said, pulling me back into the hug. This time I melted into it, wrapping my arms around his neck, warmth coursing through me. He stroked my hair, "I won't let him get to you."

The determination in his voice almost scared me, but I knew that he would do anything to protect me. The question was, how far would he go?

-

After Moriarty had broken into the Tower of London, The Bank of England and the Pentonville Prison, we went to the Tower to look at security footage.

"That glass is tougher than anything." Lestrade said, almost in amazement as we watched Moriarty smash the glass.

"Not tougher than crystallized carbon, he used a diamond." Sherlock said, almost dully, though even I knew he was interested in anything that had to do with Moriarty.

"May I?" I ask, leaning over to the keyboard to the computer footage.

"Please, please, go ahead." Lestrade said warmly, gesturing over to the keyboard. I thanked him politely as I adjusted the footage to the other camera on the opposite side. I made the footage go in reverse so that I could see the message.

I shudder when I see the words written across the glass, a prompt smiley face inside of the "O".

GET
SHERLOCK

I begin to shake and I feel my knees start to buckle, as John comes up from behind me and grabs me by the waist. "Hey... hey..." He says softly as he lifts my nearly dead weight into his arms. "It's alright.... it's alright."

I try to straighten myself up but it doesn't work, I still feel numb. I look over at Sherlock, but his eyes are fixed on the screen.

"Ex-Excuse m...me." I say shakily, as Lestrade nods at me, and I walk out of the room. I ran my fingers through my hair angrily.

Nobody was in the hallway, so I decided screw it. I screamed in anger, tugging on my hair roughly, but not enough to pull it out. I screamed loud, stumbling to a plain white wall and pounding my fists loudly on it. Over, and over, and over, and over.

I started to become light headed, but I didn't care, I kept screaming. I kept screaming until I fell to the ground on my knees. Those screams turned into loud sobs as I held my hair in my hands, keeled over in sobs, my entire body shaking and convulsing.

"(Y/N)!" I heard a familiar baro-toned voice ring out. He seemed so far away, yet so close. I looked up and out to the hallway, a shadow walking towards me. Running towards me.

I wanted to scream more, scream his name. And I did. I wanted to scream the words that I truly kept inside. I love you Sherlock.

Those were the words I kept inside. The words that I swore I wouldn't release. Our friendship would never be the same again if I said that.

I collapsed on the ground, the lightheadedness finally turning into dizziness. Dizziness turned into blurriness. Blurriness turned into blackness. It engulfed me like a blanket, pulling me into a world that I struggled to get out of.

Finally I accepted the cold, the dark, the scariness. My thoughts were monsters dancing around me, taunting me, abusing me.

The only thing that I wished for was the blackness to turn into death.