47. Death Does Not Discriminate

Y/n's P.O.V

-------------9-------------------8-------

My eyelids felt like lead as I struggled to open them, confusion like a banging drum in my mind. Panic set in as I remembered just where I was.

With the Humans.

Now, you would think that I shouldn't have been so scared, being a human myself. I wasn't afraid for myself, my fear was not mainly for me, but rather for the thousands of monsters who I didn't know if they were safe or not. I could only pray with everything that I had that they were all safe.

Where I was certainly did factor into the trepidation making its way through my body. I was still in the same white room, but now at least I didn't have any tubes sticking out of me. The heart rate monitor was turned off beside me, leaving the room in eerie silence. Fortunately, I was alone.

Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I then slowly padded towards the white door, which almost completely blended in with the rest of the room. Cold and hard under my bare feet, the floor was also off-white and tiled. It seemed very much like a hospital room, but I doubted the people who put me here would put me in a public hospital, alongside many others. A gut feeling, let's say.

A mirror lay beside the door, and catching my reflection in it, I paused for a moment, glancing at the person before me.

She had a completely clean face, albeit dark bags under her tired eyes. Wearing nothing but a white gown, her feet and arms were bare with clean glossy hair warming her hair. Nothing seemed out of place, but my previous, nearly all black outfit was gone, along with my few possessions I was carrying the day of the air raid. I forced myself away from the mirror, remembering what I needed to do.

Placing a palm against the door, I pushed it open, surprised to find it open and not locked. Why would they lock it anyway? For all they knew, I was a prisoner to the monsters, not a willing friend of many and a lover of one. Anxiety fluttered like butterflies in my stomach as I saw the outside of the room. More white walls and white doors. It was feeling very much like a hospital now. There was no one in sight, and the heavy silence only slightly disturbed me. But I couldn't stop now; the eerie familiarity to the time when I left G all those many weeks ago chilled me to the core. Had they found out I had disappeared yet? Knowing the destruction that was so infuriatingly caused in the city, I was sure they had bigger problems to deal with. I needed to get of here on my own. I needed to prove myself to all the doubting monsters of the capital that I was on their side, and that I could contribute to their well-being and safety against the humans. There was an overwhelming sense of responsibility and guilt residing within me, telling me that I should have been able to do something for them all, being a human. But honestly, what could I do? 

Flashbacks of the conflict with Chara popped up in my mind as I walked down the seemingly never-ending corridor. Having been so useless back then had forced a sense of determination to prove myself to the monsters, to G. I wasn't useless, I could be helpful, I could do something in the face of such a catastrophic war!

But could I really?

The question echoed in my mind, dampening my resolve to give back what G had always provided- safety, a helping and loving hand.

I wasn't enough for him.

Shaking my head frantically, I pushed back the tears blurring my vision, adamant to focus on the task at hand. Still, I had found no one. Suddenly, voices could be heard in front of me, where the corridor expanded into a larger room, with walls partitioning off offices and hospital styled rooms. The once muffled and nearly inaudible voices now grew louder as the full room came into view. There were men and women chatting with each other, most dressed in lab coats holding various files and important looking papers.  Curtains sectioned off beds where people who looked badly injured lay, iv drips and heart rate monitors standing beside them.