✴Chapter 26: Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Start from the beginning

He pursed his lips, looking down. With another bitter chuckle, he spoke. "You should. It wouldn't be fair to him, you know."

"I know." she muttered.

"He's lucky. Having someone like you. If I were him, I would never let you leave."

She did not speak. That was enough for him to guess why, "Or he doesn't even know what you're planning."

"Ethan, please don't tell h-"

"I won't, I won't. I promise." he lowered his voice because, he was afraid of showing the nervousness hidden in it. This is it. He inhaled deeply, held out his hand and smirked mischieviously. "You're a great girl, Davina. And you deserve the best in life."

She laughed and took his hand. It was a warm and firm handshake.

"You too, Ethan. You too."

~ • ~

Kyle was sitting on a log by the fire, staring at it while he seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. For a moment, Davina thought of turning around and leave but, the moral part of her restrained her from doing so.

Eventually, she sat next to him. "What are you doing here all by yourself?"

Kyle did not move a muscle. "Thinking." he said.

Even though he still remained cold towards her, she noticed how different the tone of his voice sounded. He was more friendly than the last time they had talked. Kinda.

Silence.

"I'm sorry." Kyle said quietly, "For the way I spoke to you back in the woods."

Well, that was new.

Davina shrugged her shoulders. "It's fine. But, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"You were the one who killed that hunter, who was about to attack Kol back there. You saved him. Why? I thought you hated his guts."

He snickered, even sounding surprised. "What? I don't hate him. I just don't like him. There happened a lot in the past but, that's not a reason for me to let him die."

She lowered her head sceptically. He had a point. Even if he didn't like him, why would he want Kol dead? Well, in the present most people wanted him dead, but, not back then. He was liked by many people here.

So once again, she asked herself what made him change so much? Because it couldn't be only the vampirism.

"I didn't understand why Ethan and Kol like you so much."

Davina glanced at him.

As she was about to snap back at him, his next words stopped her. "I believed you just fascinated them because you were so different. Or because you were pretty, but that's all. But now I see that it wasn't just that."

She arched an eyebrow. "Then what was it that made you change your mind?"

"Your reaction. And your spirit."

She stood dumbfounded.

"Your reaction when you saw Kol half-conscious and your spirit when you were fighting on your own with no one to help you." he clarified and, for the first time he cracked a smile. "It was brave."

"A good word from you. That's suspicious." she said sarcastically with a chuckle.

"Well, don't get used to it." he replied, turning his head away again. It was more like he was avoiding to look at her. "That was a one time thing."