✴Chapter 12: Esther

"I think we are good here."

The witch's head shot up, Rebekah giving her a suspicious glance. Soon she handed her the dress and, after pointing at some random tree she said, "Go behind there and change. I'll keep an eye out for you."

Davina simply nodded, heading behind the tree. While she was changing though, Rebekah thought it would be the perfect timing for a quick pop quiz. The Mikealson sister was obviously very suspicious of her, more than Kol was. She kept her eyes and ears open around the young girl and never lost sight of her.

"So may I know where you come from, Davina?"

"It's..far away from here. I think."
She raised her eyebrows, scoffing. "You think?"

"All I know is that I woke up in the middle of a forest in a place I've never been before." she quickly answered, releasing a sigh full of frustration.

"And how did you meet my brother?"

"I just bumped into him while running away from some hunters."

"Hunters?" she repeated confused, "Let me guess. They thought of you as an animal, correct?" she shook her head again. "But the problem is, they are not similar to the hunters you knew until now. They are.. quite different to a lot of things."

She was talking about werewolves, wasn't she?

"You mean werewolves, right?"

Rebekah seemed surprise, her lips parting. How did a girl like her know about them? Had she seen one? Had she talked to one? Or..was she one? The blonde girl shivered at the thought slightly, not because she had something against werewolves, but because of what her family would think about this girl. Especially her mother. It might have been better if she didn't know about it. Yet.

It was impossible for that girl to know about them since she wasn't from the village but, she certainly knew something about the supernatural.

"How do you know about them?" she snapped back, "Do they exist in your village too, huh? Or are you one?"

"I am nothing like them. But you..you seem surprised that I had heard of them."

It was Davina's time to fire back and, once she was done changing into that dark blue dress, she left from her spot and approached Rebekah slowly. The blonde stood tall before her, those crystal blue eyes of hers never leaving Davina.

"Well we are one of the few villages that knows about their existence. That's why it was weird for you to know. You were either one of them, or you were just a girl from the near by villages. I couldn't find another explanation."

"If you are worrying that I have a secret plan to destroy your village or whatever, you're utterly wrong. Like I said, I don't remember how I got here."

"Then all we got to do is help you remember then. Perhaps my mother can help you with that. She's special, too. Not in the way werewolves are."

Esther..helping her? This was one of the weirdest thoughts. Davina knew eventually she would have to meet the notorious witch, whether she liked it or not.

"..Come on. We should head back. It's already dark, we don't want anything unfortunate happen to us." sighed Rebekah and turned around, taking the path which leads to their village.

She didn't bother herself checking if Davina was actually following; her words, her story...they were bizarre. Yet, Davina might have been scared to open up to a stranger like her. She didn't know anyone there and it was only natural not to confide in someone easily. However, a girl acknowledging such supernatural beings as werewolves could not be just a random person.

She had to learn a lot about this girl, for sure.

~ • ~

So this was where the Mikealson bloodline used to live?

Davina's eyes darted around, sucking in each small detail of the cabin with the wooden floor and walls; it radiated very warm vibes, not to mention how beautifully the place was decorated. The fireplace behind the long dining table in the centre of the room illuminated the whole place with its bright dancing flames. On the left, there was a big door leading to a small room which, she assumed was supposed to be a kitchen. It was rather cozy in there, regardless of the heavy furniture and few windows.

"Rebekah, you're home. I was worried you.."

A woman, a very confident and strong woman came out of one of the rooms. Her long, wavy hair reached the top of her waist and whipped gracefully as she was walking. She stood proud and with straight back, never lowering her head and with eyes filled with determination; there, in front of Davina Claire stood the fearful and most powerful witches of all times, Esther Mikealson.

Unwillingly, Davina stared at the woman in awe, for both her power and appearance.

"Mother, this is Davina Claire." spoke up Rebekah, smiling politely at her, "She woke up in the middle of the woods and-"

"Oh don't bother informing me dear. Kol already told me about her." she cut her off, turning her attention to the young witch, "How are you, Davina? You must be tired of all this confusion, waking up into a place you don't recognise, yes?"

Davina nodded her head, returning the smile. "I am a lot better, thanks to your children's help. They were both kind to me."

God, calling them kind? She despised their entire family, no exceptions. She intended to find something she could use against Klaus and his siblings and then, she would finally avenge everyone.

Esther kept smiling, never letting it go. It might have been a nice polite smile on her lips, but it represented anything but the warmth of a smile. It was cold and pretentious, almost fake. Unlike her children, she seemed a very diplomatic woman and preferred to be typical toward strangers. Smart move she pulled there. At least, she could learn a few tricks from her.

"Your brothers should be back soon, Rebekah. Davina can meet them then but for now, you can stay here for as long as you want. You are welcomed by everyone, especially Kol. He seemed very...fond of you."

Fond of her? Didn't she know her son was a man of flirtatious tendencies and allure? He was like that with every female he met.

She just shrugged it off with another smile. Then Esther, before retreating to her room, she said, "You should rest for a while, dear. Rebekah will show you where you'll be sleeping too. As soon as the boys return, we can all have dinner together."

When the two girls were left alone again, Rebekah turned to her and with a sigh, she rolled her eyes. "Don't mind her. She seems a bit distant and strict, which she actually is, but she also can be nicer. It depends on.." she paused, "Whatever. Fortunately our father is away on an trip with a few other men, so you won't be meeting him anytime soon."

"And what are your brothers doing?"

"Hunting. Practising with their bows. Fighting. You know what men do nowadays," she replied, crossing her arms. "Anyway, we should take care of your wounds now. You're lucky mother didn't ask anything about them."

Why? Rebekah seemed so cautious around her mother, almost as if she was scared of her. Back to present, Davina hadn't heard much of their mother and almost nothing of their father. All she knew was that his name was Michael. And from the way the blonde girl talked about him, using the word fortunately, she had an expression of relief plastered on her face.

For sure, this family was the weirdest of them all. She had realised long ago the Originals were messed up, but she had never the chance to figure out why. And she didn't really care to be honest.

She didn't care one bit.