《 31 》

I woke up to the sun coming through the blinds and an empty bed. I furrow my eyebrows slightly, slowly sitting up with a yawn. I look over the side of the bed and see an empty sleeping bag sprawled out across the floor, making the memories of last night slowly drift back into my mind.

When we got back to the house everybody was gone and his family had gone to bed. I felt relief wash over me, knowing that I wouldn't have to face his family and the questions. We made our way upstairs and into the spare bedroom quietly before getting ready for bed. I was still upset with Gavin, even with the apology. So he slept on the floor.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed, stretching out all my limbs as another yawn escapes my lips. Suddenly, the door opens to show a sleepy Gavin with a toothbrush sticking out of the side of his mouth. He says something that I couldn't understand with a goofy smile on his lips, making my eyebrows furrow.

"What was that?" I ask, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as he laughs slightly before taking out his toothbrush and swallowing the toothpaste in his mouth, making me cringe. 

"Merry Christmas." He smiles and I give him as confused look before grabbing my phone off the nightstand. 

"I'm joking love, we're celebrating it early since our flight got cancelled." He explains and my mouth drops as I check the time.

"Our flight got cancelled?" I ask, whining slightly.

"Yup, got the email this morning. The storm last night cancelled all flights til tonight or tomorrow morning." I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose, knowing that I can't just runaway and that I have to stay here one more day.

Gavin steps closer and places his hands on my hips before pulling me close with a slight smirk on his face. 

"Um, what are you doing?" I ask, grabbing his hands and pulling them off my waist.

"What? I thought you would've wanted an early Christmas present." He says, pouting slightly and I shake my head.

"Who said you were off the hook?" I ask, pulling my toothbrush out of my bag.

"Are you serious?" He asks and I look at him, almost dumbfounded. 

"Dead. Did you really think that just because that I forgave you that everything was gonna be all okay again?" I ask, watching his eyes avert to the ground as he tries to avoid eye contact.

"This is what I'm talking about Gavin. You practically cheated on me last night and yet, you act like nothing happened." I say and he remains quiet, making me scoff.

"You know, maybe Meg tolerated this type of bullshit, but I definitely don't." I snap, stomping out of the room.

¤ ¤ ¤  

When I walk down the stairs, the smell of blueberry muffins fills my nose. I follow the smell into the living room where everyone was sitting around the Christmas tree, smiles on their face.

"Merry-early-Christmas Cassidy." Mr. Free says cheerfully, making me laugh slightly.

"Merry-early-Christmas everyone." I say, taking the only open spot, which was next to Gavin. He re-adjusts slightly before trying to slide his arm over my shoulder. 

"Theses muffins smell amazing Mrs. Free." I gush, leaning forward and grabbing one off the coffee table. Truth is, I wasn't really comfortable with Gavin now. The trust between the both of us broke and he doesn't understand that.

She smiles softly, a real looking smile "Thank you dear, how about we open presents now?" She asks and everyone's smile grew before agreeing eagerly. 

I watch quietly as everyone tore into their presents, taking some pictures of Gavin for the memories. I began to clean up the wrapping quietly, knowing that I probably wasn't going to get any gifts.

"Cassidy, this ones for you." Owen says, his eyebrows furrowed slightly confusion as he hands me a small wrapped gift, my eyebrows furrowing as well as I grab it. 

To: Cassidy From: Mum & Dad 

I feel a smile slowly crawl onto my face as I carefully unwrap and open the small gift to see a small diamond necklace. A gasp escapes my lips, making Gavin lean over to see what it was.

"Bloody hell . . " He mumbles under his breath, making chuckle slightly.

"This is beautiful. Thank you guys so much." I gush, getting up and giving the two hugs. 

"You guys really didn't have to." I say, gently taking the necklace out of the box.

"Of course we did, you're family now Cassidy."

¤ ¤ ¤  

Throughout the rest of the day, we played board games, went to the park, watched British Christmas movies as a family. It felt weird honestly, a few days ago I wanted to get the hell out of here, now all of a sudden I don't think I ever wanted to leave. 

Good things don't last long though because by the time evening came around, Gavin got an email about our flight leaving in an hour. We quickly changed out of our pajamas and began to finish our packing. We were close to finished when there was a knock on the door. 

"Come in!" I call out, picking up a few clothes that found their way onto the floor. 

"Cassidy, can I borrow you for a second?" I hear Mrs. Free ask from behind and I instantly stand up straight.

"Y-Yeah of course." I say, dropping the last of the clothes into the bag and walking towards the door. I quickly give Gavin confused look before closing the door behind me.

"Am I in trouble?" I ask, jokingly, making her laugh.

"No dear, I just wanted to apologize for how awful I've treated you this trip." She says sheepishly and my eyes widen.

"I was more upset at Gavin for not even telling me about his break up or about you, and I took it out on you. Last night, when you walked out, Gavin came to me. He had been crying and basically screamed at me in front of everyone that I'm a horrible person and that I made the girl he loved walk out on him." I stare at her in shock as she fumbles with her hands.

"And he was right. I treated you look garbage and I hope you will accept that necklace as peace offering." She says and I chuckle slightly before wrapping my arms around her. She tenses up slightly before hugging me back 

"I'm just really glad that you don't hate me." I say and she laughs.

Soon enough, the bedroom room doors opens to Gavin struggling to carry all the luggage at once. He looks at us and his mouth drops slightly, making the two of us laugh.

"Well, this is definitely not what I expected."

A/N (plz read)

This, my lovelies, is the second to last chapty. Chapty 32 will be the last chapty and than there will be an epilogue!!!!! I know this is super random but i feel like it should be the end :)

-rebekah