"And don’t forget you have an appointment to see the headmaster of the Liverpool College for Girls at noon today.”

Katia nodded without saying a word.

"Katia…chin up. I know this is hard, but you’ll make friends soon.” Her mother said. “I have to go....dad left some money on the counter over there....take some and try to enjoy your day."

Katia made some tea and sat in the armchair in the living room.

She showered and got dressed shortly after.  She needed to get some breakfast and find what would be her new school. She grabbed the money from the counter and found herself eating breakfast by herself at a nearby bakery.  She asked the lady behind the counter if she could give her direction to the Liverpool College for Girls.  It was further than she had initially thought.  She opted to walk there in order to try and learn the streets, but the small pastry and coffee she had at the bakery were long gone by the time she arrived at the school.  She met with the headmaster, had a short interview and got fitted for the school uniform.  Katia’s mom and dad would need to come down before school started to meet with her, but it was simply a formality.  All the paper work had been sent while they were still living in Canada in order to secure a place for her.

When Katia got home, she found her mom in the kitchen putting away groceries. 

"Hey, how’d it go today?” she asked Katia

“Great.” Katia said trying to sound more excited than she felt for her mother’s sake. “How was your day?  Did you find a job?”

"Yes I did.  It’s a receptionist job at an office about 5 km from here...I start next Monday.”

“That sounds exciting.”

“I met one of our neighbors this morning…I ran into him on my way back from the store.  He helped me carry the bags inside.  His name is Jim McCartney. He has two sons...I think the older one is one year older than you...I don’t remember his name, but the younger boy’s name is Michael.  Jim’s wife died a few years back and he's been raising the two boys on his own. I thought I'd invite them to dinner once we’re all settled.”

"That sounds nice."

“You know what?” Katia’s mom said as she searched the bags of groceries.  “…why don’t you take this over to him? It’ll give you a chance to meet him and maybe get acquainted with his boys. Tell him we’d love to have them over sometime next week.”

“Aren’t you coming with?” Katia said as her mom handed her the apple pie and hurried her to the front door.

“I still have to unpack these groceries…go on.”

Katia gave her a look, but opened the front door just the same. Her mom pointed out the McCartney’s house, referencing the small mountain ash in front of it before she went back inside.   

Katia knocked on the door three times before she heard the door unlocking. She straightened herself out and forced a smile as the door opened.

"Yes, what can I do for you, young lady?" he said politely

"Umm…hi...my name is Katia Adkins,...my family and I just moved here last night. I believe my mother and you met each other this afternoon." Katia said trying to sound just as polite as he had been.

"Oh! That's right, Theresa’s daughter...well come right in. The weather is getting terrible. You mustn't stand out here." He said as he stepped aside and motioned for me to come in.

"Thank you. My mom sends this to thank you for your help this afternoon." She said handing him the pie.

“Oh. Why thank you.  How thoughtful of her." he said taking the pie into the kitchen. "We'll have it for desert tonight...I'm sure the boys will love it. I don't believe you've met my sons, have you? "

"No."

"Paul! Michael! Come here for a minute!" Mr. McCartney called to them.

Katia stood in the middle of the kitchen as one of the boys came in.

"Michael, this is Katia Adkins. She just moved here yesterday. Katia, this is my youngest son Michael.

"Nice to meet you." Katia said as we shook hands.

"Hello Katia. I go by Mike." He replied.

“Where's Paul?" Mr. McCartney asked.

"Oh. He told me he would be a little late tonight. Something about meeting with John."

"Ahh...that John Lennon is going to drive my boy out of school one of these days..." Mr. McCartney mumbled.

"I’m sure we’ll see each other around, Katia.” Mike said.

"I’m sure we will. " Katia said to him before he went back up the stairs.

"Ah well...I guess you won't meet Paulie tonight. You'll probably be seeing a lot of him though. Your mother tells me you will be attending the Liverpool College for Girls."

"That's right, Sir."

"Oh, I suppose you'll be riding the same bus as Paul then..." he said to no one in particular.

Just then, Katia heard the front door open.

"Dad! I'm home! Sorry I'm late I was wi-" the boy stopped dead in his tracks when he came into the kitchen. "Oh. I didn't know we had company." He said as he looked at Katia.

"Paulie, I'd like you to meet Katia. She just moved to Liverpool yesterday." Mr. McCartney continued.

“You can call me Paul.” The boy said as he extended his hand.

“Nice to meet you Paul.  You can call me Kat.” Katia smiled and quickly realized it was the first smile that had not been forced since she had arrived to Liverpool.

"I should really be heading back home. It looks like it’ll start raining soon.” She said turning her attention back to Mr. McCartney. “It was nice meeting all of you. My mom wanted me to tell you that you are all invited for dinner next week at our house."

"Oh that's very nice of her. Tell your mum we'd be delighted. Just let us know the date and we would be glad to go...thank her for us."

“I sure will." I smiled as Mr. McCartney began walking me to the door.  Paul followed close behind.

As Katia opened the door, Paul approached her and offered to walk her home.

"That's nice of you, but it's not necessary...I’m only a few houses down.” Katia responded.

"Really. It's no problem." Paul insisted.

"Yes…Kat. Let the boy walk you home...” Mr. McCartney added.

"Okay. Thank you." Katia finally agreed.

"I'll be back in a bit then." Paul told his father.

Paul and Katia walked slowly towards her house.

"So…Kat. Where are you from? You certainly aren't from England... "Paul said.

“You’d be right about that. We’ve moved around a lot due to my dad’s job. We lived in a few cities in Brazil when I was younger and then moved to Mexico…then back to the States…then there was Canada….and now here."

"So how many languages do you speak?" Paul asked genuinely interested.

"I know some Portuguese, some Spanish…some French…and a lot of English. Although I may need to learn some Liverpool English.” Katia laughed. “I’ve noticed I don’t always understand everything people say.”

“That’s because you’re not a Scouser.” Paul laughed. “Don’t worry.  I’ll make sure to give you a quick course in talking Liverpool.” He winked.

Katia and Paul had arrived at her house and Katia secretly wished she lived further away.  She was really enjoying the time with Paul.

"Thank you for walking me home, Paul. Your dad said we would probably be riding the same bus since I'll be going to The Liverpool College for Girls."

“Oh yeah, for sure. I go to a school not far from there."

“Great…so I’ll see you around then?"

“Definitely.” Paul smiled.

Katia felt a few drops of rain on her arm

"Alright…well…I should go in."

" Okay…I’ll see you soon." Paul said as he started walking back to his house.

Katia’s walked into her house and slouched into the armchair.  She couldn’t contain the smile that crept onto her face when she thought of Paul. Maybe moving to Liverpool would prove to be the best decision yet.