Chapter 23: We Are Young

Start from the beginning

“You know, Prom’s quickly approaching.” 

I ignored her, continuing to stare out the window of the passenger side. Rebecca always attempted to start conversations on the way to school.

“Mac,” she frowned, “Just because I’m a little older doesn’t mean I don’t get what teens go through. Talk to me.”

It was my turn to frown. “Just forget it Rebecca,” I muttered. “Forget it.”

Rebecca was a picture of perfection. She had long hazel hair that almost reached her waist, amber eyes, and the prettiest smile. Of course she was an athlete, super genius, trilingual in French, Mandarin, and English, and all around genuine person. And to top it all off, she was my body guard. Miss Rebecca Holt, undercover body guard and black belt extraordinaire. She was 22 and could easily pass as a senior so that was my parent’s cover story for the school. Rebecca was assigned every single class with me and to everyone’s knowledge, was the foreign exchange student staying at my house; that was where her french came in handy. It wasn’t that I hated her, she was amazing. I just hated how observant she was.

“You still talk to him right?” We were at a stop light, school was about 15 more minutes away good god

“Yeah, every night,” I muttered, staring out the window. 

“Mac, you should invite him to Prom then. That would give you a good opportunity to catch up.”

One good thing about Rebecca, she didn’t dare mention Kayden’s name aloud. It was sort of like saying Voldemort, everyone was terrified of mentioning it in front of me. They were afraid of bringing back bad memories.

“We keep in touch every night,” I frustratedly pointed out.

“You should still invite him. I heard the theme this year is pretty cool.”

I gritted my teeth. “North Ridge is six hours away and he has a girlfriend.”

“Oh.”

Yeah Rebecca, ‘oh’.

She was silent the rest of the ride to school.

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I hopped out of the BMW and slammed the door in a baffled Rebecca’s face. 

Okay, I’ll admit that was a little mean but to be honest, I wasn’t in the mood to hear it.

“Mac!” Sophie caught up to me at my locker, her blonde hair was neatly twirled into a perfect bun, as usual. “Have you heard the news? Jace asked me to Prom!”

“Soph that’s great!” I genuinely smiled, congratulating her. “I’m so happy for you!”

She beamed, “Thanks, he and the marching band came last night. There were balloons and everything!” 

I smiled again, zoning out as she babbled on about how Jace got the marching band to serenade her at home last night for one of the perks of being a football player was complete control over the band. 

“-right Mac?”

“Huh?”

“I said, ‘You’re going to ask Kayden to Prom, right Mac?’” she grinned.

My face instantly darkened, “I don’t think so Soph.”

She immediately started pouting. “And why not?” She demanded. “You talk to him every night, its not like you guys lost touch!”