A Proscriptive Relationship: 12

Start from the beginning

            “Anytime,” he responded with a grin.

When the Ferris wheel came back full circuit, the worker opened the compartment door to let us out. I nearly jumped out, keeping my head down. Mr. Heywood followed, also keeping his head down, and together we hurried as fast as we could away from the attraction.

“Let’s get you home,” Mr. Heywood said, pulling me in the direction of the parking lot.

We made it to the parking lot without trouble. A chilly wind nipped at my exposed skin and I shivered, pulling my jacket tighter around me. Mr. Heywood guided me through the dark, coming to a stop at his car. He fumbled with his keys for a second before opening the passenger door for me. I quickly slid in while he hurried to the other side of the car, climbing in the driver’s seat.

Mr. Heywood started the car and glanced at me. “Do you have service on your cell phone?”

My eyes widened and I gasped, digging my hand into my pocket. My cell phone! I fumbled with it for a minute, realizing it was off. Scowling, I pressed the on button. My phone had a horrible habit of turning off randomly. When it loaded, text message after text message arrived. After fifteen text messages, my missed calls showed up. There were thirty of them. I checked those first. Fifteen from Lance, ten from Casey, three from Danielle and two from Sam. I didn’t even bother to read the text messages. I flipped open my phone and held down the one button, speed-dialing Casey.

“Holly!” Casey cried after the first ring.

“Hi.”

“Where are you?” she demanded. “Do you know how long we’ve been looking for you? I thought you got kidnapped! Lance said you were there one second and than you were gone! And Sam said he saw you going into the forest!”

“Calm down,” I said, looking over at Mr. Heywood, who was focusing on the heat, but I knew he was eavesdropping. “I’m okay, I just ran into… an old friend.”

Mr. Heywood glanced at me, smirking. Blushing, I turned away from him. I wasn’t good at thinking on the spot.

“You could have at least called!” a new voice with a British accent cried.

“Lance!” I heard Casey shout. “Give that back!”

“In a minute,” Lance responded. “You could have at least called, Holly!”

“Sorry,” I said with a sigh. I had really hoped I didn’t have to talk to Lance. “I forgot I had my phone. It was off.”

“You had me— us worried sick!”

“Sorry,” I apologized again. “It’s just, I didn’t want to let him out of my sight.”

“Him?”

Crap. “Yeah, my friend.”

“Where are you now?”

“On my way home.

My phone beeped and I looked at it quickly. The low battery sign was flashing. Sighing I placed the phone against my ear again. “Look,” I started, “I’ve got to go. My phone is dying.”

“Are you with the guy now?”

“Yeah, he’s bringing me home. I’ll talk to you later,” I responded quickly, my phone beeping again.

“Wait, Holly!”

“Bye!”

Hitting the end button, I disconnected the call and shut off my cell phone. I put it back into my pocket, letting out a little yawn. Mr. Heywood smirked at me, now pulling out of the parking lot. “Lance seemed very worried about you,” he commented casually.