Chapter 8

Rowan

I wake to the sun in my face I groan as I slowly wake to the pain in my head, shifting was painful as it always is.Mother keeps telling me it'll get better I don't believe her. Blood covered my hands and naked chest I'm sure I had it all over my face too I look around me to see I was in the woods not too far from the house since I could smell mother making breakfast like she always does.

The smell of last night meat and eggs make my stomach growl, the wolf inside of me has gone to sleep yet I can feel her pacing in the back of my mind. My eyes widen where was Victoria? Had mother let her out of the attic yet I quickly get up knowing Owen was already home before me seeing as he could control his wolf and shifts.

"There you are," mother says when I walk into the kitchen "go shower and let your sister out tell her she's helping with breakfast today."

I jump in shower washing all the blood away, washing blood out of your hair was harder than you think, once I was finished I dress in pants I didn't need Victoria to see the bruises and scratches I have gotten the night before. I knew I either got into a fight with another werewolf or my prey attacked me. Which happened more times than you'd think we can't control our wolves, they sorta control us unless you were born with one. I don't understand how that works.

I unlock the door to Victoria's room and peeked my head is she sitting on the couch with a book in her hand looking closer it's a copy of Jungle Book. I didn't even know mother had it.

"Mother says you have to help with breakfast." I say

She nods and quickly gets up and pushes past me and stomps down the stairs, she doesn't even say hi to me like she usually does.

It really sucks that we couldn't talk because she's human and I'm werewolf I follow her down and sit at the table, Owen had stomping down the stairs next his pissed by the look on his face.

"Mother?" He calls

"Yes Owen?" She asked from the kitchen

Owen gets up from his seat and walks into the kitchen and shaping at Victoria to go sit down. With my werewolf hearing I listened in on they were talking in hushed voices.

"What is it Owen?" She asked him

"I found my mate," Owen says smiling big. It was the first time I've seen him smile since Victoria came to live with us.

My eyes widen at that werewolves who were born with a wolf got a soulmate when you were bitten like me you got chosen to be someone's mate.

******

Victoria

I didn't sleep well that night, I swear I heard the sounds of wolves running around I didn't know if it was the same wolf that I saw the first day I was here, I've only been here for four days and haven't left the house once.

Only time I go outside it's laundry day and that's once a week, after breakfast Rowan and Owen disappear upside mother says that they came home late from the meeting and they need to get a couple of hours of more sleep. She told me not to make much noise when I go back to my room.

I want to ask a million questions starting on why she locked in my room when she left. I don't, and slowly after doing the chores I was given I make my way up the stairs I go back to back to reading the myths of werewolves I didn't know why mother or Rowan and Owen who want to know so much on them.

"It is believed that the only way to kill a werewolf is with a silver bullet."

It was written out on the text and there was a lot of side notes, is that for wolves born with a wolf or a Lycan? A handwritten note asked, it was hard to tell what type girl or boy wrote it.

"Werewolves are humans that transform into wolf-like creatures under the influence of the full moon."

I stopped reading the full moon was last night, was there really a meeting or was mother lying to me to hide the fact that she was a werewolf? Or was she just into myths and legends that were passed around the campfire years and years ago? One thing was for sure I was going to find out.

"They can either been born as werewolves to werewolf parents, or become a werewolf as a result of being bitten or scratched."

Did that mean I was a werewolf? If mother was one which I didn't know for a fact then did that mean I was? Was dad one? How did I find out? I couldn't just ask what if mother was just interested in this kind of stuff? I don't think I was a werewolf. If I was wouldn't I have noticed? Isn't that why mother and her children live in the middle of nowhere?

I opened up another book, and turned through it looking for a picture.

In the picture the wolf was with a baby it didn't look evil or anything but a wolf how could you tell the difference?

On the bottom of the picture was a writing "a shape shifter or Lycan as one would say is different from normal wolves by size. A Lycan is much larger than a wolf." It was sort of hard to read but I got it.

Was the wolf I saw on the first day werewolf? Or was it just a normal wolf?

How was I going to find out? Mother doesn't want me talking around the village she says that the people here don't like new people I was going to have to wait until they got used to me. I don't know how that's supposed to happen when I can't leave the house.

Sucks that we were all homeschooled now I can't even found out when I walked to school.