What Now?

"Payton?" Daniel knocks on Paytons bedroom door. "Hey Danny." Payton looks at him from her bed. "Have you heard anything?" Daniel walks over next to Payton on her bed. "Nope." Payton looks down and lays her head on Daniel's shoulder. Payton was waiting to hear back from her dad. He was suppose to call Payton to see when he comes back from his mission in Europe. It was about the last week of July, almost August, her dad was suppose to be back the week she got out of school. "I'm worried Danny. It's been two weeks since I heard from him last." Payton says. "It's gonna be okay babe. You'll hear from him." Daniel puts his arm around her comforting her. "I hope." Payton says. "Hey, do you wanna go out for lunch? Just you and I." Daniel asks Payton making her smile. "I'd love that." Payton looks up at him. "I'll drive. Meet you downstairs in 10 minutes." Daniel says and kisses her forehead and heads downstairs. Payton gets up from her bed and walks to her closet to put some clothes on. She takes off her sweats and puts on jeans and pulls over a big white tee shirt. She puts her hair up and meets Daniel downstairs. "You ready?" Daniel smiles at Payton. "Yep. Where are we going?" Payton asks putting on her shoes. "There's this new burger place. You wanna try that?" Daniel asks. "Yes. I could use a burger right now." Payton laughs and they head to Daniel's car. They just spent their time in the car talking and listening to music. After 15 minutes of driving, they arrived at the burger place. "Aw this is cute." Payton gets out of the car and takes Daniel's hand. They walked inside and ordered their food and sat down waiting for it. "So did you hear Jess and Juan broke up?" Daniel  looks across at Payton. "Yea Jess texted me. What happened?" Payton asks taking a sip of her drink. "They were just different people I guess. There were some trust issues I think." Daniel explains. "But they're good?" Payton looks at Daniel. "I'm sure they will be." Daniel laughs and Payton smiles. "Listen I got something to tell you but I don't know if it's the right time." Daniel says. "Tell me." Payton smiles. Daniel chuckles and sighs. "Danny?" Payton looks at him waiting. "I have an audition." Daniel says. "Audition? For what?" Payton asks with a confused look on her face. "A boy band." Daniel looks at her. Payton just sits there and stares off. "Boy band?" Payton looks at him. "Yea. The audition is August 7th." Daniel says. "How'd you get this audition?" Payton asks looking down. "A manager reached out to me. He's made contact with a bunch of guys." Daniel explains. "What about us though?" Payton looks at him. "I thought we were gonna music together? We're a duo. Why do you think I moved in with you?" Payton stares at him and he sighs. "It's just an audition. I'm just gonna go downtown, meet up with them and we'll see what happens." Daniel says. "I did not come here just for you to leave again Daniel." Payton sighs. "I know." Daniel stands up and walks over to Payton's side of the table and sits next to her. "I promise you, whatever happens, we'll figure something out." Daniel puts his arm around Payton and pulls her close. "I know I'm sorry. I'm just scared." Payton says. "It'll be okay." Daniel smiles and kisses her on the cheek. Their food arrived at their table and started talking and smiling until a one phone call.
"Who's that?" Daniel asks Payton looking at her ringing phone. "I'm not sure." Payton says looking at the number and she answers. "Hello?" Payton says in her phone.
"Hi. Is this Payton Vaughns?" The other person on the other side of the phone asks.
"Yea. Who's this?" Payton looks at Daniel with a confused face.
"This is Ricky. I work with your dad." He tells Payton through the phone and her eyes light up.
"Oh my gosh. Hi. Hold on, let me step outside real quick." Payton says and Daniel moves out of her way and she runs outside. Daniel just watched her out the window pacing back and forth.
"Hi Ricky. Is everything okay??" Payton asks a little worried.
"Payton..it's your dad." Ricky says. She freezes.
"What? What happened. Is he okay?" Payton freaks out.
"He's been in the hospital for the past two weeks." Ricky starts to explain. "He was shot on the field." He finishes. She just freezes and her eyes start rolling down her face.
"Is he okay?" Payton sniffles.
"Unfortunately..." Ricky starts and Payton cries a little.
"He passed this morning." Ricky says in sympathy. "He says he loves you. So much. He's so proud of what you have done and what you've become. He sends so much love and he wants you to know that he's always gonna be with you." Ricky tells Payton and she's just speechless and cries.
"Thank you. Do I get to see him?" Payton asks.
"We are gonna have an open casket funeral next week. I'll be able to text you more information tonight." Ricky explains.
"Thanks so much Ricky." Payton says and cries still.
"I'm sorry dear. I'm so sorry. I couldn't save him." Ricky says.
"It's not your fault. Thank you for being by his side throughout all that." Payton says.
"It was my pleasure. I'll text you info tonight or tomorrow morning." Ricky finishes.
"Thank you. Take care." Payton says and hangs up.
After she puts her phone away..she just stands there outside the restraunt trying not to cry. She hates crying in public. She wipes some tears away and walks inside. Daniel seeing her eyes all red and her nose red. He can tell she's been crying and is still crying a little.
"Payton?" Daniel stands up and runs to Payton.
"Daniel. Can we go?" Payton looks at him while her eyes water up. "Babe, what happened?" Daniel looks at her. "My dad." Payton struggles to say and tears roll down her eyes. "He's gone Danny." She cries and covers her mouth. "Oh my gosh." Daniel pulls her in a hug and she's crying in his shoulder in the middle of the restraunt. "I'm sorry Payton. I'm sorry." Daniel holds her tightly and she's hugging him as tight as she can. "Here. Take the keys." Daniel let's go and grabs the car keys. "I'm gonna pay. You can go to the car and I'll meet you there." Daniel says. Payton nods and Daniel kisses her and she walks out the restraunt. Daniel waits to pay and runs to the car. He drives Payton home and the whole time he's resting his left hand on her leg. She just cries and looks out the window then they arrive home. "You can go inside. I wanna stay in here for a while." Payton tells Daniel. "Okay babe. Just let me know if you need anything." Daniel kisses her on the cheek and leaves the car. Payton just balls her eyes out in the car alone. With Daniel probably leaving for this band and her dads death, she doesn't have an idea of what to do or where to even go. She collects her tears and thoughts and takes the keys out of the ignition. The car locked and she heads inside.
"Hi Payton. Are you okay?" Daniel's mom greets her at the door. "I heard what happened." Keri looks at her. "I'm gonna be okay. I'm just gonna take a nap." Payton looks at her. "Okay. Let me know if I can do anything." Keri smiles. "Thank you." Payton hugs her and goes upstairs. She walks to Daniel's room and he's just on his bed on his phone. "Hey Danny." Payton walks in and walks on the other side of the bed. "Mind if I take a nap in here. I don't want to be in my room right now." Payton looks at Daniel. "Of course." Daniel says and she slightly smiles. She pulls the covers over and climbs in the bed bed to Daniel. He turns on the TV for Payton to fall asleep to. She snuggles up to Daniel and falls asleep on his chest.