Chapter 20 - "Get. The. Hell. Out."

Start from the beginning

Tears gathered in her eyes when the strain in her arms and the overwhelming pain in her heart dulled her thoughts. She blinked angrily, causing the pools to spill over and stream down her face.

Her punches become sloppier and slower until she finally stopped, unable to see the bag through her blur of tears. She held onto one of the chains holding up the bag and leaned her head against the cool, black fabric, and cried.

Unlike her anger, her sadness was one of deep pain. No tornado of emotion. Just one deep endless pit of grief that threatened to swallow her whole. She didn't hear her door open. She was barely aware of her father's presence until his strong hand pulled her into a one armed hug. 

She yielded to his comfort and turned towards him, burying her face in his shirt, letting loose all the hurt her body had bottled up.

"Why is she here?" she choked.

Her father stroked her head and kissed the top of her hair.

"It's complicated," he whispered.

They said nothing else, letting their pain hang heavy around them.

***************

The tumult of student voices filled the empty air as Carter opened the car door. Maggie put a hand on her arm, making Carter pause. Carter looked back, her expression dull, her mind and body numb from exhaustion, sadness in her blue eyes. Maggie met Carter's gaze with a look that spoke volumes of her concern and worry.

"Carter," she said, softly.

Carter tensed, not able to face anyone's sympathy or have images of her mother dragged to the forefront of her mind. Maggie released her hand, settling for an understanding smile. Turning away without a word, Carter grabbed her bag and got out of the car.

Summer seemed to have chased spring away during the night. The air was warm and the sun's heat penetrated the chill that was trapped in the breeze. Carter headed towards the stairs feeling oppressed by the cheeriness of the day.

She had barely taken two steps inside the school when a group of four girls converged on her. Some wore looks of condescension, others opted for thinly masked sneers. Carter's tired gaze flicked to each one in turn, none of their thoughts making it past her wall. The girl at the front cocked her head at Carter, one hand on her bony hip.

"It's actually true? You went out with Donovan. Why he-"

The rest of the sentence was cut off as Carter shoved the girl aside and walked past. The girl's cry of indignation fell on deaf ears. Carter moved towards her classroom as if a ghost.

In front of her first period classroom, Maddy was talking with Link, their hands intertwined. Donovan rested against a set of lockers, his gaze roaming over the flow of students. When his eyes landed on Carter, he straightened, surprise and concern flashing through his expression. With an effort, Carter rearranged her features in a mask of mild disinterest.

The bell rang, sending everyone scattering towards all ends of the school.

"I should get to class," Maddy said, her tone soft.

Carter glanced at Donovan and found him studying her with an intense gaze. She turned away, the small part of her that wasn't numb hating him for seeing her weakness.

"Carter," he said, his voice low. "What's wrong?"

Her face remained blank.

"Nothing."

"That's not true," he said. "You can't lie to me."

"It's fine," she said, her voice lifeless.