Chapter 17

"My mother?!" I sputter out, staring at Bells in disbelief.

"Uhm, yes?" Bells says uncertainly.

"My mother? As in the the one who spread her legs and pushed me out her vag – "

"Oh my god! Yes, Aqueela, yes!" Covering her ears and closing her eyes, she cuts me off before I say something even more graphic, "Jesus, no filter whatsoever."

I lean back taking it in, "How long have you and Jay known?"

"Before the Jingle Ball."

"Bells, that was three months ago."

"I know, I know," She sighs.

"My mom," I whimper out, "where is she?"

"In New York."

"She's been here this whole time?" I ask her in disbelief.

"Yeah."

"And never once had she thought of contacting me, or checking up on me?"

"She apparently has eyes and ears everywhere. She knew about your accident before Mason did, she knew about the encounter with your father. She knows everything. She even changed her name. She now goes by Ashley Brone."

Ashley, Ashley, I've heard that name before.

I gasp, "Oh my god, Bells! That's the name of my nurse!"

"You're what?"

I stand and start pacing as the I try to connect the dots, "When I was first brought into the hospital, the nurse was the first person to greet me."

"So your mother was closer to you then you thought."

"But, I don't recall any type of familiarity. I didn't recognize her, she looked nothing like my mother."

"Weren't you high on medications?" She points out.

"True, very true. But even if I was high in medications, don't you think I would recognize my own mother?" I reason.

"You last saw her when you were like, what? Seven? You were on drugs and she aged."

"I don't know, Bells. My nurse was pretty young," I stop pacing for a second to look at her.

She stays silent for a good thirty years before she speaks again, "You want to meet her?"

"Meet her? As in, stand in front of the person who just so happened to die a few years back? Bella, I used to visit her grave and you're asking me to stand in front of her moving and breathing body. I'm sorry if I sound rude but I have to forcefully decline the offer."

"Why did you call me Bella?"

"Is that the only thing you got from my short monologue?"

"Well, no," She admits sheepishly but then she scolds me, "And don't answer my question with a question!"

"I called you Bella because I'm being serious for once and I want you to know how serious I am," I say.