Chapter 8

"So let me get this straight," the nurse looks up at us from her spot behind the counter in the ER. "Your friend dared Zac Stokes to sleep in an abandoned building for the night, Mr. Stokes chose a solitary barn in the middle of nowhere but unfortunate brought him a group of teenagers who had too much to drink and they beat him up and shot him once in the abdomen?"

Me and Jay mutter a "yeah" and "sounds about right".

"Okay, then." The nurse says. "Take a seat and we will inform you about his condition."

"Thanks." Jay mumbles.

We walk over to the crowded waiting area and look at each other warily.

There are only two seats left. One is in the corner on the other side of the room, next to a lady with a kid who can't stop crying, noisily might I add, and the other one is stuck between a sleeping hippie and an obese man who's shirt armpits are drenched with sweat.

"I call the one next to the lady and the annoying child." I say first.

Jay sighs annoyingly and glares at me as I blow him a kiss and skip over to the child.

I take a seat and look over at the 3-year-old kid. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against children. Personally. It's just that, they make me uncomfortable. 

I look at Jay and silently laugh when he's eyeing both the hair of the sleeping man and the man is trying to start a conversation with him. Surprisingly, he's trying to be polite and listen to the man without showing his discomfort. 

An idea pops into my head as I grab my phone. It is the 21st century so I decide to text him.

Aqueela Lawson: How you holding up?

Jay Taylor: I hate you, Lawson.

Aqueela Lawson: Aww, thanks, big guy!

Jay Taylor: Please stop texting me... I'm trying to make a new acquaintance with this man who's wife left him and is now waiting for his cousin who had way too much to drink.

Aqueela Lawson: I have a more interesting story to tell you, Taylor.

Jay Taylor: Oh really? Hold on. I have to try and make this man stop talking...

Aqueela Lawson: ...

I look at Jay and see he's trying to explain the position he's in. I see his mouth moving and I see a look of panic cross his face as the man says something to him. The man opens his arms and tries to go in for a hug. Jay looks at me, panic and fear evident on his face. He dodges the hug smoothly by looking away and pretending he didn't notice the man's act of kindness.

I snicker behind my phone. 

My phone vibrates and I lift it off from my face and tap the screen.

Jay Taylor: Help!!

I laugh as I respond;

Aqueela Lawson: No can do, Mr. Bad Boy. I have to help this woman calm her child down.

Jay Taylor: You're good with children?

Aqueela Lawson: No. They honestly freak me out.

Jay Taylor: So why are you helping her instead of me??

Aqueela Lawson: I needed an excuse to cover up the idea of me wanting to watch you panic

Jay Taylor: I know I said this before, but I hate you.

Aqueela Lawson: No you don't, you love me.