Chapter 10

The light suddenly blinds me, making the back of my eyelids a deep color of red.

I groan but suddenly stop when I realize that instead of feeling rough leather, I'm feeling soft cushions and feathers.

I open my eyes and look around to find myself in my room, gently tucked in.

I then freak out when I see myself changed into my pajamas. I remember me being dressed in that dress!

I frantically try to get out of bed.

Keyword: try.

I crawl out of my blanket but apparently it doesn't want me to leave because it wraps around my foot and as I try to leave my bed, it tugs me back and I fall, face-first into the fuzzy bubblegum blue carpet, with one foot still on the bed.

I groan for the second time today and try to get up without falling on my face.

I slowly place my knee on the ground and get up without my left leg.

I unwrap the blanket around my foot and  slowly put my foot down, next to the other.

I smile in accomplishment and I turn to walk towards the door.

I run down the stairs and when I see Jay sitting there, scrolling through his phone while sipping on a cup of coffee.

"I'm going to need you to take me to the airport later on today." He says casually.

My brows furrow in confusion as I say, "What? Why?"

"Africa. Volunteering. Remember?" Jay says slowly, glancing at me.

Then everything suddenly hits me like a bucket of cold water. "No."

"What do you mean, 'no'? Yes." Jay says putting his phone down, daring me to challenge him.

"You can't leave." I whisper.

"I have to leave. They're expecting me."

"But, what about ... Um ..." I look around frantically, as if looking for an excuse.

"What about what?" He says, his turn to be confused as he furrows his eyebrows.

"What about, um.." I see Troy walking towards us and I quickly grab his arm and wrap my arm around him tightly. "What about Troy?" I say pouting.

"What ya'll talking about?" Troy says confused, looking around, unaware of the tension in the air.

"About you." I say, knowing he will distract Jay by talking about himself as I try to look for a way to frame my words.

"We weren't talking about hi-" Jay starts but is cut off by Troy.

"You should've just skipped all of the other rubbish and skipped to the 'Troy' part." Troy said sitting down next to him, "now, what do you want to learn about moi?"

"I don't want to learn more abou-" Jay says but is cut again short by none other than Troy.

"My favorite food is pizza, even though it's hard on the abs. I prefer a healthy diet most days. I usually only eat one donut every day. Sometimes, if I'm feeling extra healthy, I risk it by eating 5 donuts but that's not important. I wake up at 1 pm because no ones going to get up early, like, ew. No." Troy says, rambling off about himself. "I'm the definition of perfection, even though I don't think this should be told because of the obviousness in that statement, I feel the need to repeat it."

I roll my eyes at Troy and start trying to look for a way to stall Jay.

"- and chickens look like stars." Then he pauses and says, "almost like carrots."