Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

I had called Katy a few times and messaged her since I got home yesterday. I still couldn't believe what she had said to me and what she called me, yet I was still desperate to reach out to her and explain. I wondered how could she do this right before Christmas. I didn't want to end our friendship. I felt hollowed out. I wanted Christmas to be over and return back to school maybe then she wouldn't avoid me.

Each time I got a message I turned out to be disappointed because it was Penelope, occasionally Mark, and occasionally my mom. Kent had message me once today, a full 48 hours after the events of the party. All he said was "I'm sorry." And I didn't know what to reply so I hadn't yet. I wanted to help him. Swirls of his mom's pleading and Cook's expression about Kent were always on my mind. How do I go about helping someone who conceals everything?

***

The next day, I busied myself with Christmas decorations and putting up the fake Christmas tree we had stored in the basement.

***

On Christmas Day, mom took a few hours off work and we spent our time cooking a nice meal and exchanging gifts. Jeffrey joined us a few hours later once he was off his shift. I felt bad because I hadn't gotten him anything, not expecting him for Christmas. I felt really guilty because he hadn't crossed my mind at all. He got me a book that I haven't heard of before. And he got mom a kitchen Pots & Pans set which made us all laugh out loud because although mom cooked well, she was also very clumsy and tended to burn her kitchen items. We then watched Christmas movies that were playing on the TV with gingerbread cookies and hot chocolate. It was cozy and I was glad that they were here. For once I felt like my house wasn't deserted and that I wasn't all alone.

I sent a 'Merry Christmas' text to everyone I knew. Penelope, Mark, Kent, and Katy as well as Amanda, Ashton, and Cook. I didn't have Wesley's number and that would against the girl code anyway.

Katy was the only one that didn't respond.

I looked at the remaining Christmas presents under the tree. One was for Katy and I wondered if I'll ever get the chance to give it to her. This was the worse Christmas I had. I slipped away from mom and Jeffrey. I sinked onto my bed and sobbed the rest of the night while watching old videos of Katy and I on my phone. The ones from Halloween, from her shoot (there were about a hundred of those), and many more. The very last one was of us in matching ugly Christmas sweaters. I closed my phone angrily and slipped into a dreamless sleep.

***

The next day, someone rang the doorbell of my house. Which was unexpected. I couldn't see past the person's chest through the peephole so I opened the door hesitantly and was greeted with a very tall and handsome boy that I recognized as my boyfriend.

"Hey," I said uncertainly.

"Hi," Kent said back. He had a little wrapped present in his arms.

"Um. Do you want to come in?" I asked.