Twelve- Drinking Buddies

I rummage through another draw but again it doesn't have what I an looking for. I sigh and shove it closed and turn to open another one.

Why must this kitchen have so many draws.

I push aside oven mitts and a spatula but nothing. I groan and slam it shut.

"What did that draw ever do to piss you off so much?"

I look up and see Damon leaning on the kitchen island with his arms crossed on top of the surface. I roll my eyes and ignore him.

I open another draw but I still don't find what I'm looking for.

"If you told me what you're looking for, I could help you find it," Damon offers and walks up to me.

My heart flutters a bit but I try to shove it aside.

"A wine bottle opener," I take a step back from Damon so that my lower back rests against the counter top.

"It's 3 in the afternoon," Damon raises his eyes and closes the space between us.

"It's 5 o'clock somewhere," I place a hand on Damon's chest and push him away before he can ruin my train of thought. "If you won't help me then I'll just go through every draw here until I find what I'm looking for."

"I don't doubt that," Damon mumbles under his breath and walks across the kitchen. He opens the fridge and pulls out a cork screw.

"You keep it in the fridge?" I stare disbelieving as he places the cold object in my open hand.

"So that it doesn't get lost in all these draws," Damon chuckles but then turns serious. "Who are you drinking with?"

I scoff at the edge of possessiveness in his voice, "my friend."

"You have friends?" Damon covers his mouth with his hand to show how shocked he is.

"Yes, you nimrod, unlike you," I smirk and turn around to exit the kitchen. Mai is waiting for me in my room with a bottle of wine. I don't want her to try to be creative in opening it.

Damon's arm reaches out and wraps around my waist, "where are you going?"

"To get buzzed," I let Damon hold me for a moment before I look up at him over my shoulder. "I would appreciate it if you let me go."

"Can I meet this friend of yours?" Damon doesn't budge.

Annoying little prick thinks I'm gonna cheat on him.

"Her name is Maika and we're having a girls night so no," Damon moves his arms to my shoulders and turns me around to check my eyes. "I wouldn't do that to you," I place a hand on his cheek and he squeezes his eyes shut.

"I know," his voice sounds pained and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

What does he want from me? How can I ease his pain?

"Are you okay?" I ask and Damon opens his eyes and takes a step back from me.

"I'm fine, Lenora. You can go have fun," he turns away from me and walks away with hunched shoulders. I stand in the doorway—extremely confused—until I remember Mai waiting for me.

I race up the stairs and open my door to see Mai on my bed.

"Finally, you've been gone for years. I thought I would have to break the bottle open." She makes her voice sound raspy like she's been walking through a desert without water for days.

"I knew you would try, I came as soon as I found it." I hold up the bottle opener and Mai grabs it from my hands.

We pass the bottle back and forth, taking turns sipping the calming liquid. It warms my stomach and eases my headache. I smile in content and close my eyes. Mai and I sit on the floor, leaning against my bed.

"Is all that stuff about you and Damon true?" Mai asks me after a short silence.

"You're gonna have to be more specific than that," I take the bottle from her hands.

"That you are his mate but he is embarrassed by you which is why he hasn't told the pack yet or made his claim to Alpha?" I almost spit my mouth full of alcohol out.

I swallow quickly and turn to look at Mai with wide eyes, "no! What the hell!" My mind takes off with a thousand scenarios at once.

There is a little bit of truth to every rumor. But which part is true?

"I'm not his mate." Mai nods for me to go on, "but we've....slept together." Mai keeps her lips pressed together even though I know she wants to say something. "We met and it was all so fast. I didn't know what was happening, I've never fallen in love before so I didn't know what to expect." Mai gasps when I say the word love. "He told me he loved me, Mai, me. I never thought I would want to hear those words or want to say them back. But with him, it's different from anything I've ever wanted before. I don't want to be with him to piss my parents off or to get attention. I don't want to be with him to have sex or to become Luna. I want to be with him because I love him and how he makes me feel like I've never felt before."

When I finish, I look up to see Mai with her lips pressed so tight they are white. We sit in silence, staring straight ahead before I break and beg her to say something—anything.

"I don't know what to say," she finally tells me. "That's—wow—that's a lot Nora." I take another swig from the bottle of red and pass it back to her.

She stares at it in her hands.

"That's why you don't want this party to happen. You're afraid he might find his....or you might find yours." She doesn't say the word and I'm grateful for it.

Though Mai and I have only just met, we definitely have an understanding of each other already.

"Yes," I whisper and look down at my lap, ashamed.

"Nora, this is dangerous." Mai puts the bottle of wine down but I pick it up.

I take another mouthful before I reply, "my mother said that same thing."

"But your mother is right. Nora, if he finds his mate, he will chose her over you." My heart cracks at her words and I growl. "And if she finds out about you then she will hate you. If you find your mate, he will be pissed to find out about Damon and he will want to kill him. If your mate isn't an alpha then Damon will most likely kill him, and if he is an alpha and he kills Damon then what does that mean for this pack?"

Mai finishes her rambling and runs her fingers through her hair.

"Do you hate me?" I whisper softly and avoid her eyes.

Mai shakes her head, "no, Nora, I don't hate you. I'm scared for you."

"Don't be, I've got it under control," I lie smoothly but I know Mai catches it.

This is way over my head. I should have declined his offer in the woods.

"Some friend I am. I promised you alcohol and good jokes and here I am making you sad again. Come on, let's put this behind us for tonight." Mai smiles and pulls me to my feet.

I give her a small smile and nod my head.

"Have you seen the latest Game of Thrones episode?" She's asks me and sits on my bed.

"Game of thrones?" I question. Mai's eyes widen in shock and she jumps to her feet.

"Get your laptop, you uncultured swine," Mai orders and I can't help but laugh. I hand her my laptop and sit on my bed next to her. "Season 1, episode 1, I'm warning you not to get attached to any of the characters but it's pointless because you will get attached anyways."

"How can you be so sure?" I playfully nudge Mai with my elbow but she stares at me with a straight face.

"Just wait until you meet the Stark family" she then turns back to the screen and presses play.