Thirty One- The End of the Rainbow?

"They're here?" I ask even though I heard Damon perfectly clear the first time.

He nods his head in affirmation and my bones chill, "they have the house surrounded. They first attacked from the west side and we haven't heard from the guards at that gate yet. I've told the other guards to stay back until we have a plan."

I nod as I listen along and my brain starts plotting ideas. I turn my back to Damon and pace back and forth twice before I stop and stand still.

"We need to know what's in those tunnels once and for all." I look to Mai before continuing, "We will sneak out and get to the entrance, from there we will mind link you if we find anything."

"That's too dangerous—" Damon starts but I talk over him.

"You will stay here and defend the house. If we are surrounded as you say then at one point or another we will have to fight our way out. When that comes pour all of the wolves out of one entrance. That will overwhelm the rouges on one side of the house. It won't be a lot of time but you can get some of the women and children out that way if you act fast enough."

I look at my mom and dad who are also present in the room. They look at me with the kind of pride I've always wanted from them but unfortunately the circumstances are limiting. Mai steps up and tells me that she is ready to go.

"I can't lose you two," Eva speaks for the first time. She stood by Damon's side until now. Now, she steps forwards boldly and blocks the door and that Mai and I plan to exit through.

"You won't lose us," I try to assure her but she's not an idiot. She can see through my hesitations if it's a window to my true fear.

We both know what the odds are but Eva nods her head because she also knows that I won't take no for an answer.

"Maika," I turn to look at my best friend.

"I'm with you until the end of the line, Lenora."

She always is.

Without stretching on the moment any longer—wasting time and making this harder—Mai and I race out of the room into the crowded hallway. People are too preoccupied to look at me with disgust or maybe they know what I'm about to do, either way a path is cleared and no one is glaring at me as if I am moldy cheese they wouldn't be caught dead next to.

Now, I mindlink Damon and he follows through with the plan. In the back of my mind I can hear him giving commanding orders and the movement of bodies around me indicate that they are being completed but my main attention is on my own job: getting out without getting caught.

Mai and I slip into the frenzy of the crowd that surges forwards like a wave rushing towards the nearest exit. The wolves around us break windows and doors to climb out of the confines of our home and into the dark night that awaits. The battle cry of one pack against another rises into the sky like a column of smoke that starts from a single fire and spreads rampantly.

I shift.

I don't stop to watch the claws and teeth that glisten in the moonlight or smell the familiar scent of blood that paints the grass or listen to the piercing howls and barks that shake the trees. I have one job and I plan to do it so help me Moon Goddess.

I charge forwards with a speed I didn't know I possessed and Mai is close on my heels. We weave between clashing wolves and trees, trusting our heightened sight completely. When a rogue charges at me I swipe at him with a paw but don't break my stride.

We have to keep going, I scream to Mai when I catch her looking over her shoulder from the corner of my eye. It breaks my heart to watch my pack—however cruel they can be—be murdered.