Six- Surrender

I pull in the driveway of my own pack grounds and park my car in the large garage. It's 1:37pm so the kitchen should be empty by now; my stomach growls in approval as I head towards the fridge as soon as I'm inside the house. I scan the shelves before picking up a bowl of salad. I add some more vegetables to the mix because who likes to just eat boring leaves?

I hesitate to put dressing on but I settle on a minuscule amount to add the smallest amount of flavor. I then settle down with a fork and work to silence my grumbling stomach. I place my empty bowl in the sink when I'm done and walk out of the kitchen. As I turn the corner, I bump into something hard.

"We've got to stop meeting like this," I hear Damon's voice and I take a step back.

"I thought you left," I ignore his comment and rub my sore nose.

"I thought you were supposed to be helping my mother," he fires back.

"I did help her. Now if you'll excuse me," I step to the left to go around him but Damon moves to block me.

"Not so fast. Lenora, I was wondering if you wanted to take a drive with me?" I see a fraction of vulnerability flash across his eyes as he searches my face for an answer.

"Where?" I'm not sure if I should say yes...

"No where, just come. Please?" Damon grabs my hand and I'm taken by surprise by his movement. My heart flips inside my chest and my breath hitches in my throat.

"Okay," I breath out even though I know I shouldn't. But that's me, always doing stuff I know I shouldn't.

Damon pulls me back to the garage I just left and he opens the passenger door to a black Jeep for me. I can feel the heat rush to my cheeks at his chivalry. No one had ever opened a car door for me like I was a princess or something. After I click my seatbelt into place Damon hits the gas and we tear out of the garage.

I reach over to put the radio on and flip through some stations until I land on a song I like.

"I love this song!" I exclaim but then scold myself for my childish outburst.

"I don't think I've heard it," Damon glances at me from the corner of his eye.

"I'm hot, you're cold, and you go around like you know who I am but you don't, you've got me on my toes!" I sing along to the the song and nod my head to the beat of the drum.

Damon laughs as I throw my hands out and shake my shoulders.

"I'm slipping into the lava! And I'm trying to keep from going under, but baby you've got the temperature hotter! I'm burning up, burning up for you baby!" I hold my hand in front in my face to mimic a microphone before I burst into a fit of laughter.

Both of us laugh until tears fall out of our eyes and then we laugh until our lungs hurt from the lack of oxygen.

"You are a really good singer," Damon lies to me after he catches his breath.

I take a few more breaths before I respond, "I know." I smirk and Damon smiles at my false cockiness. I turn to watch the pine trees fly past the window.

When I glance back to my left I notice Damon's hand resting on the consul between us, palm facing up and open. My eyes flicked down to my own hands in my lap and I can't stop the picture of us holding hands that flashes across my mind. I bite my lip and look over at Damon through hooded eyes. His eyes are still focused on the road so I cautiously pick my hand up and place it over his, still watching for his reaction.

His fingers close around mine.

We are holding hands! I scream inside my head.

I can't stop the smile that breaks across my face and I turn my head to look out of the window again to hide my red cheeks.