Chapter 13: Part of the Pack

A/N: I know it's not super long, but I promised an update soon, so here it is. :D 

One Week Later

Caleb:

"You wanted to speak with me?" Rylan stood in front of his desk, watching us expectantly.

"Yes, sir." He met my gaze and it felt like he was staring into my soul. I refused to back down, though. Working with his pack this last week helped me to find confidence.

"And what is it you wished to talk about?" he questioned, crossing his arms over his chest.

"We-" My voice broke, and I had to clear it before I could go on. "We want to join your pack."

"You're sure about this?" he asked, walking around his desk.

"We've been talking about it for a few days. There's nothing left for us at our old pack. The only thing we're doing right now is giving my father more power, and I don't want to do that. We like your pack, and we respect your laws, which is more than we can say about our old pack..." I trailed off, not sure what else to say.

"As long as you're certain that's what you want." Rylan pulled a keychain from his pocket, finding a tiny gold key hooked to a delicate looking chair. He used it to unlock a drawer in his desk, pulling out an ornate dagger. "This is something that all alphas should have, eventually." He pulled the dagger from its sheath, checking the sharpness of the blade.

I held out my hand, eyeing Eli. Huffing, Eli gradually stood up, shifting as he did so.

Rylan ran the blade across his palm, not pausing to assess the damage as he gripped my hand, using the same dagger to slice a thin cut. I barely noticed the sharp sting as blood welled up. Before our wounds could close completely, Rylan grasped my palm in his own. My knees went weak as power shifted, moving from my father's pack to Rylan's. Pack magic flooded my senses, and suddenly I could feel the entire pack before it faded.

Rylan murmured a few words to seal the deal. Oxygen left my lungs and I gasped, dropping to my knees. My vision turned black for a moment as I coughed, still trying to catch my breath.

I sensed Rylan look at the others. "Don't worry. It won't be quite as bad for either of you."

Sight returned, and Ace glanced down at me before offering his own hand to Rylan. I hadn't expected the transition between packs to be seamless, but I hadn't expected to be so hard, either.

My palm burned as skin knit itself back together. Eli offered me his hand, pulling me to my feet and making my head spin. By the time my hand stopped bleeding, both Eli and Ace were a part of the pack.

"Welcome to the pack-" he broke off at the sound of a frustrated screech and shouting. "What the hell..." We followed him out of the office, Eli shifting quickly as he followed us into the chaos.

Kynzie:

"Kynz, where are you going?" Jack leaped up, cutting off my path.

"I'm going to get a drink," I huffed, wishing he'd leave me alone. Both he and Landon had been trailing me like a shadow all week, and I just wanted to go get a drink in peace.

"Let me get it for you." He turned, heading for the kitchen as Landon stood up, lifting me into the air.

"Put me down!" I kicked out, trying to get Landon to release me.

Landon didn't seem to have any trouble holding my squirming body, but both boys flinched at the shrill shriek I emitted.

"Kynzie, you aren't supposed to be up and walking around yet," Jack replied, still heading for the kitchen on his mission to get me a drink.

"I can get my own drink, Jackson!"

Landon carried me back to the couch as he chuckled. He didn't bother to speak any louder as he said, "ooo, you're in trouble, Jack."

Glaring at Landon, I replied, "Papa Tucker said it was okay for me to walk, and it doesn't hurt anymore!" I popped back up as soon as Landon sat me on the couch.

Dad cleared his throat loudly, getting our attention. "What's going on out here, guys?"

Landon took advantage of my distraction, lifting me again and setting me down on the couch.

Caleb took a step forward, letting out a low pitched growl as he locked eyes on Landon. Eli stepped in front of him, releasing a growl of his own. I couldn't tell if he was trying to get Caleb to back off, or sending a warning to Landon as well. Ace's dark gaze traveled around the room. He crossed his arms over his chest, making his muscles flex as he moved.

Jack stepped back into the room, a large glass of ice water in his hand, complete with one of those swirly straws. My glare didn't seem to affect him as he set the glass down in front of me. "I'm not helpless," I snapped. I sipped at the water, still glaring at him. He grinned, knowing my weakness for these straws.

Caleb stepped around Eli, making his way to the couch. "Hands off," he growled, his gaze locked on Landon's fingers resting on my shoulders.

Jack stepped forward. "You don't get to go all alpha on her."

My eyes widened. Jack wasn't quite as tall as Caleb, allowing me to see Caleb's eyes as they dilated, the black swallowing the steel gray.

Dad didn't seem concerned as power hung in the air, clinging to both Caleb and my brother. Landon stepped around the couch, reaching for Jack's arm. "Back off, Jacky. Don't make Kynz choose between us and her mates." With one last leer, Jack stepped away from Caleb, his gaze dropping to his feet. Landon's attention dropped to Caleb's hand, which was covered in dried blood.

Caleb followed Landon and Jack's movement. It was clear that Caleb's father must rule his own pack with fear, because I'd never seen Caleb so assertive or confident before. Now that he was obviously a part of our pack, his old pack leader would have no influence over him.

As soon as the tension faded from the room, Ace sauntered over to me, keeping a cautious eye on Caleb as he dropped onto the couch next to me. "Did Tucker really say it was okay for you to be up and walking around now?"

I nodded, half worried he'd try to argue with me as well.

"Good. I'm glad you're feeling better." His cheeks tinged pink as I slowly slid my fingers through his. He lightly squeezed my hand. "Would you feel up for a date later this week?"

Jack snorted, spinning on his heel and darting up the stairs, Landon close behind him. I knew they'd still be keeping tabs on me through the link we shared.

"A date?" I tilted my head a little as I looked up at him, hoping he'd expand on his question.

"Yeah. I think Caleb needs some time with you, and it will probably help him relax a bit around your brothers." He gave a head nod in the direction of the stairs Landon and Jack had just disappeared on.

"Why doesn't he ask me for himself?" I challenged. I couldn't stop my stomach from sinking briefly.

"I wasn't asking you out for him," he admitted, running his fingers through his hair, making the shorter strands stand straight up. "I was asking for me and Eli. He's going to be impossible to room with if he doesn't get to spend time with you... alone."

I glanced up at Caleb to see if that was true, and found him staring at us, the black in his eyes slowly receding to reveal the gray.

Making up my mind, I stood and slowly made my way to him. "Will you go out with me tomorrow? I know we can't physically go out, but I can come up with something we can do near the house..." I trailed off, not sure what else to add.

He blinked once, studying me. His lips tilted up slightly as he answered, "Yes. Just let me know when."

Dad cleared his throat, a rare smirk crossing his face. "If we're done in here, I suggest the three of you go wash up."