Chapter 12: Date with Ace

A/N: I know, updates have been scarce. I'm in the middle of writing something that's been accepted for publishing, so that's been taking up a lot of my writing time. At the request of one of my readers, I was able to squeak this update in, though. :) Enjoy!

Kynzie:

Caleb gripped me gently under my thighs and lower back, carrying me downstairs. Mom had already helped me wash up and get dressed. My skirt was short enough that I worried I'd be flashing people while being held like this, but no one else seemed to think anything of it, so I tried to relax.

He put me down in a chair at the table before rushing towards the kitchen. "Your mom saved a plate for you. I'll grab it." I thought it was cute the way he was worrying over me, but I wasn't really hungry.

I opened my mouth to tell him so, and he sent me a look. "You need to eat."

While he was in the kitchen, Ace appeared at the bottom of the stairs. He sent a shy smile in my direction, heading for the kitchen. Eli sauntered in, his nails clicking against the hardwood as he made his way through the room. Pausing when he saw me, he turned, settling himself against my chair.

Ace disappeared into the kitchen, following the smell of breakfast cooking. Caleb came back into the room with a tray. I assumed there were two plates on it, but the tray was piled so high with food that I couldn't tell.

He settled into the chair next to me, putting the tray down in front of himself. He put one of the plates in front of me and I couldn't help the wide-eyed stare I gave it. I'd never be able to eat this much! He chuckled, noticing the look I gave it. "Just eat what you can." His bare foot slid against the ankle of my good leg, resting there.

I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to keep touching me like that, but then he might stop. Ace dropped into the chair across from me, tilting his head as he glanced from me to the plate in front of me. "Eli will eat whatever you can't finish." I glanced down at him. Eli's head came up, which didn't really answer the questions floating through my head. I would just have to trust that Ace knew his friend.

Caleb and Ace chatted quietly while I focused on eating as much of the food as I could. When I was certain that I couldn't fit another bite in my stomach, I held a pancake down, waiting to see if Eli wanted it. Before I realized what had happened, the pancake was gone. I didn't even think he chewed before swallowing. Lifting my plate with the intention of laying it on the floor for him, Caleb spoke up mid-sentence, "Eli, don't make her bend down to give you the plate."

Eli grunted, pushing himself to his feet. His chest was even with the top of the table, making it easy for him to eat off the plate I pushed in front of him.

I hated to admit it, but Caleb was right. Now that I had eaten, my brain felt like it was working again. Mom stepped into the room, smiling in our direction. "Where is everyone?" I asked. The house seemed so empty since I hadn't seen anyone but my boys and mom this morning. Landon and Jack had been gone when I had woken up this morning, so I hadn't even seen them.

Mom dropped a kiss to the top of my head as she walked past me. "Dad has most of the guys in the training arena. A couple of the guys are on patrol, along with a couple other members of the pack. The twins are eating in the formal dining room. Papa Kane and I have some errands to run this morning, and we'll take them with us. Oh, and I think Papa Tucker is downstairs in his office." She paused, watching me for a moment before asking, "Will you be okay if I leave for a bit?"

I nodded. "Yes."

Caleb ran his toes along my calf, making me blush with Mom standing right there. Caleb's dark eyes met Mom's innocently as he announced, "We'll keep her company."