Chapter 10: Second Family Meeting

A/N: That moment when you start writing an update, check WP to see where you left off... only to realize you still have 2.5 unpublished chapters. 

Kynzie:

Sitting up a bit straighter, I stretched, yelping at the pull I felt in my thigh. I was dragged lightly into a hard chest to take the pressure off my leg. "You're okay, Pup." Ace's voice was a whisper in my ear, and I made a face. I wasn't sure why he had taken to calling me pup, even though he'd kind of explained it earlier.

I made another pained noise as I relaxed my muscles, drawing the attention of Landon and Jack. It was then that I realized everyone was already seated in various places around the room. Eli was still next to the chair we were in, and Caleb stood in the same place he'd been sitting before, his back pressed against the wall. He now wore a white tank top and jeans instead of the pajama pants he'd been wearing before, although his feet were still bare.

Caleb saw me glance at am, but didn't say anything. Even the customary smile that tugged at his lips was absent. My heart sank knowing that he hadn't forgiven me.

Ace moved slowly, shifting his weight a bit. "Did you need me to get up?" I got restless if I sat still for too long, I could only imagine he did as well.

"Hush. You're fine," he breathed out softly.

I curled back up on his lap, careful not to jar my injured leg. His warm hand rested against my ribs, just under my shirt. The heat from his skin felt good and I leaned into it.

Dad cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. The only people missing from our family were the oldest set of twins. Hunter and Forrest were probably out on patrol and would get filled in when they came back inside.

"The MacIntire pack has declared war on our lands by attacking members of our own pack. Caleb, would you mind explaining what happened this morning?" Dad looked over at Caleb, whose face paled as everyone's attention moved to him.

"Four of my dad's best warriors came across the creek, picking a fight with me and Kynzie." He glanced around the room before dropping his gaze to his feet again.

Devon hopped to his feet from where he sat on the floor. He'd been leaning against Dallas' leg, practically sitting on Dallas' heavy black boots. "You mean those were the best warriors in his pack?" He seemed genuinely puzzled.

Caleb frowned. "Yeah."

"But..." Devon sighed, not sure how to admit to what he'd been thinking.

"Speak up, Son," Papa Kane encouraged. From the way his pale blue eyes watched Devon, I was pretty sure I already knew what Dev was going to say.

"I wasn't really trying to fight them. I was just trying to get them to run off, because I figured there'd been a misunderstanding," Devon finally answered. It was true. Each of my brothers could hold their own in a fight, but Dev hadn't been fighting his hardest.

Caleb finally added, "In defense of my old pack, I doubt that my father was aware of them attacking us..." he trailed off as Luke stood up.

"Are you seriously going to fucking defend them after what they did?" Luke shot back, his amber eyes shooting daggers at Caleb.

Caleb pressed back against the wall, his eyes darting around the room wildly. "I didn't say I was-"

Luke cut him off. "You just said 'in their defense'. Does that not mean you're defending the fuckers?"

Papa Tucker moved across the room to lay a hand on his son's shoulder. "Calm down or get out. You're upsetting your sister, and I'm sure Tyler and Nolan can hear you, the way you're shouting."