Chapter 1: Run Like the Wind

A/N: See. I told y'all I wouldn't last long! I hope y'all enjoy Kynzie's story, because I'm really loving her and her boys. I think you'll find that these characters are a bit different from anything I've written before, but I hope the characters will come alive for y'all. 

Enjoy!

Kynzie:

The fish swam lazily up the stream as I sat nearby, dipping my fingers into the cool water. I wasn't sure how long I could sit here before someone noticed I was missing, but my solitude would probably be intruded on soon. Brushing a strand of my dark blonde hair behind my ear, I flopped to my stomach so that I could see the fish better. It must be nice to be a fish. He didn't have to worry about school or being the perfect daughter. I sighed and laid my chin in my open palm, swinging my feet through the air above me.

Flicking a small pebble into the stream, I watched as the fish darted away. "Sorry, little guy," I muttered, knowing the fish wouldn't hear it or even care. My ears perked up as they picked up something that seemed out of place near the quiet stream. I stayed quiet for a few moments until I heard it again. It sounded like a kitten, and not a happy one. In fact, it seemed distressed.

Standing up and brushing my skirt off, I realized it was coming from the other side of the stream. I wasn't allowed over there, but my father would hopefully forgive me if he realized I couldn't just leave the poor creature to suffer.

Taking off my sandals and leaving them in the grass, I cautiously walked across the stream. My mom would kill me if I got this outfit all muddy and gross. I listened carefully, making sure the coast was clear before venturing further onto property that wasn't ours. It belonged to the pack leader just outside our territory, and he didn't look kindly on strangers entering his land, so I had to proceed with caution.

The mewling took me further onto their property than I had thought it would. My heart thundered in my ears, making it hard to listen to my surroundings. Just a few more steps and I was sure I'd be able to see the kitten. Soon enough, an orange bundle of fur caught my eye. It seemed to be stuck in some sort of trap. I gently pried the trap apart, cringing at the bloody mess that the poor kitten's leg was in. Without thinking, I lifted the kitten out of the trap and let the trap snap shut. An echoing howl came from not far away and my mind went blank.

What was I supposed to do? Crap! The sound of thundering paws raced in my direction and did the only thing I could think of in that situation. I shifted. Watching the pieces of my shredded shirt fall to the ground, I picked the kitten up by the scruff of the neck and prayed he'd be okay. The wolves were close and my only hope was to outrun them.

Ace:

A howl sounded from across the property, and I responded, racing toward the noise as fast as my four legs could carry me. The pack leader had issued the order kill anything that came onto our lands, but I was determined to stop that from happening.

Reaching the edge of the forest that bordered our lands, I slowed to a jog. Seconds later, a white coyote raced by. A white coyote in a skirt. A white coyote in a skirt while carrying a kitten. I stopped to shake my head, sure my eyes were playing tricks on me. Why the fuck would a coyote be wearing a skirt? Why would a coyote be carrying a kitten? The whole scene made absolutely no sense.

It wasn't long before two wolves came trampling through the underbrush after her. I quickly rushed after them, easily pulling ahead of them to block their path. One of the wolves snarled at me and I snarled back. That's right, bitch. I rank way the fuck higher than you. I stood my ground, snapping at them when they tried to move past me. Once I could hear the coyote splashing across the stream, I moved aside slowly. I waited to make sure neither wolf would go after the coyote. When they huffed at me and headed back towards the house, I went to investigate where the coyote had come from.