Chapter fifteen

June Apricot
*************
              "Rosie, Kate, the date was okay...at least we did not rip each other's heads off. That's a good sign isn't it?" I said into the phone's receiver as I took my seat in my kitchen looking around for whom or what to devour.

     "He came back yesterday looking very very confused and...I don't know, what happened.. He was also fuming" Kate said and I almost... almost felt pain in my chest. Maybe hunger pangs

      "Uhm....I don't know, maybe he's on his boy period. He's your brother why don't you go....*incoming call*....I have to go Kate, my boss is calling." I said and hung up immediately.

    "Hello Leroy" I said into the receiver, I just hope he doesn't want me working overtime.

    "Heey June...uhm, how are you?" He said and sounded uneasy. Bad feeling coming right up.

     "Fine. What's up Leroy, are you okay?, do you need me to come into work?" I asked and he chuckled slightly and uneasily too.

    "I'm afraid I won't need you to come into work ever again.... I guess you're fired" he said and my eyes became saucers.

    "Que?!!!!(what)" I said not knowing when my English turned to Spanish.

     "Uhm....I'm so so sorry" he said and hung up. I just couldn't take it, I didn't know when the tears clouded my eyes. How am I supposed to survive, Leroy's Diner was where I made most money. I shook my head and ran out of the kitchen ignoring the pain in my stomach. Food can wait.. Or I better starve conserving the little I have cause famine just started.

     I pulled a shirt on my tank top and changed my short into jeans, grabbing my converse and handbag I ran out of the house. I didn't have the Money for a cab so I just ran there.

     I got there thirty minutes later and yay me, I met Leroy there.

     "Uhm...June, what brings you here?" He asked scratching the back of his neck.

     "Explanation... I need an explanation Leroy, what happened?, did I do anything wrong?, I've never fought a customer, I've never taken money out of the cash machine, I have never sold above the stipulated prices, I have always being honest in all my dealings and.... I thought we were on good terms. What happened?" I asked not knowing tears were already running down my cheeks.

    "I'm so sorry June. I wish I could explain but I can't" he said and I looked at him like he had grown two heads.

    "What do you mean?, if anyone has the power of firing me, it's you...and only you can also stop it...so if you didn't want to do it, it wouldn't have happened" I said throwing my hands in the air.

    "June...its all for your own good, I think you should...." He was saying when my phone rang, I wanted to ignore the call until I saw that it was Lisa, one of my colleagues calling. Bad feeling with a little dread coming right up, shaken or stirred?.

      "Lisa?, what's up?" I asked immediately I picked up.

    "What did you do June?, what happened?, you didn't tell me you offended the boss" she said. Make that feeling a double please, I'll take shaken and stirred!

     "What do you mean?" I drawled hanging on to last life

    "Miss Carrie brought a new cleaner in today...if she didn't, we wouldn't have known you were fired. Why didn't you tell us?" She asked and laughter escaped my lips.

    "This is June Soledad Apricot...are you sure you're calling the right person?" I asked taking a seat on the nearest chair.

    "Of course, June.... Didn't you know you were fired?, Miss Carrie introduced this new Lady to us and said she'll be working in your place cause you won't be working here anymore.....or did you quit?, then why did she use fired?... Maybe......" Lisa continued to rant but my brain was saturated. I couldn't take anything in anymore. I was lost, tired, done. How is it possible to lose both jobs at once.