Chapter 36-Hello Goodbye 🕒Wednesday, November 20th, 1963🕞

Start from the beginning

"Is there anything I can do for yer Wendy?" he asked softly. I smiled gratefully.

"No, thank you George." I kissed his cheek and we proceeded to enter E.M.I.

John and Paul sat huddled deep in conversation in the corner. As we entered, Brian exited the sound room followed by George Martin.

"Alright boys." he said walking over to sit down.

"Alright what?" George asked taking a seat at the table across from him, Ringo and I at his side. John and Paul didn't budge from their spot in the corner. Brian rolled his eyes.

"Alright boys." he said slightly louder and more aggravated. Paul had the decency to look up this time.

"One moment Brian." he said turning back to John and muttering something under his breath to which John nodded.

Brian and Martin exchanged a look and Brian sighed, taking out a stack of papers and tossing them out onto the table.

"It will only take a moment, lads I just need to speak with you." Brian said firmly. Then he gave me a look. "Miss Parker, would you mind?"

I raised my eyebrows in protest.

"Mind what?"

The judgement on his face said it all.

"Ohhh." I nodded, getting up quickly and heading for the door. George looked like he was about to protest when I shushed him.

"It's fine, George. I'll be right back."

He nodded reluctantly as I made my way down the hall I had made myself so at home in that first day on the sofa. I was about to lay down when I heard Paul say something familiar that made me freeze in my tracks.

"Brian, we're not going till we've hit the charts."

I stayed at the door and listened. Brian scoffed.

"Paul what are you talking about? Boys, they want you to come do a show!"

"No Eppy, not until we've got a number one."

"But that could be years! America is another world-"

"That is exactly why we're going to wait!" John spat staring daggers into the frazzled manager. George Martin stood up.

"Look boys, you must consider this offer. You will be greatly paid and it will do an awful lot for the sake of publicity."

Brian nodded.

"Martin is right lads. We must take him up on this. You must play on Sulivan."

"Not until we've gotten a number one." Paul said looking around at the lads. "Isn't that right, fellas?"

"Right." John said sadistically punching Ringo roughly in the shoulder. Ringo nodded in agreement. George merely sat there staring into space. Brian turned to George.

"George? What have you got to say about this?"

George nervously shifted his weight to one side. He looked back and locked eyes with me. I could see it on his face he was wondering what I had to say about all this. He knew I had the answers.

George turned back and cocked his head at the manager.

"Well, I do think that it would, uh, do us some good if we, uh, asked Wendy what she thinks..."

"Ask Wendy???" John spat, a heartless cackle emerging from his lips. "Oh right. Since your obsessive girlfriend is such the expert on these matters!"