Chapter Fifty Six- Baduk 2

The Eve before...

The deities sat around, knowing what was coming. A little earlier on, they had each felt the seals near their individual gates activate...

It wouldn't be long before they faced their deaths.

The plans had been made, some even carried out.

A few would still be put in place the next day, but for now, they all sat around, each of them depressed, each of them attempting to hide the fact.

Da Yeong played the gayageum, the lovely strings transporting them all to the blissful past, before they ever had to worry about Jang Yoo Jin and his plot.

Hye Yeon sat beside her, as she always did, stringing flowers.

Tae Jun and Chun Hwa played baduk as usual, a book in Chun Hwa's lap.

It was almost as if they had indeed returned to the past...

Except for two glaring differences.

None of them had decided to dress like they once used to, each of them defying their roles and donning several colours, particularly Hye Yeon, who had chosen to die dressed as a gisaeng...

The design of her hanbok was anything but ladylike!

The only other difference was Chin Suh's presence...

He studied them from afar, torn between determination and uncertainty. He was certain he could temporarily bring them back...

"Doesn't your plan involve human sacrifices?" Da Yeong had asked him earlier that day, she and Chun Hwa being the only deities around (Chun Hwa had returned to his own home, after taking Hye Yeon to the Capital, so he could speak with his father, as Tae Jun had instructed).

Da Yeong continued.

"Whatever you're planning should require the death of four living humans... The laws of magical balance. I will not support the murder of innocent people." Da Yeong had added, but Chin Suh merely scoffed.

"You can't stop me, even if you wanted to. The Black Deity's powers have always been tinged with darkness, probably because I stained my hands with dark magic, while I was still a heavenly being." He had walked over to her.

"However, black magic started all this, so I wouldn't go near it. There's another way..."

He intended to give them out of his life force...

At present, he wondered if he would be bringing them back for nothing.

After all, he was completely uncertain about his victory against the Shadow...

He turned away, leaving them to their false merriment... Any moment now, the four of them would die, and he would step in...

.

"Chun Hwa-ah. Are we making the right move?" Tae Jun asked, back in the pagoda, where they all sat actually drinking wine for the first time in a long while.

Chun Hwa was a bit bothered by this, but he said nothing.

More than anyone else, he knew Tae Jun was not comfortable with gambling their lives away.

As leader, the thought that they were all about to die weighed down heavily on his shoulders...

His drinking genuinely, rather than pretending as usual, was the only way he was expressing himself.

Tae Jun continued.

"Should we go, even now, to defend the gates? Or give up our powers as planned? You're the wise one, so tell me." He downed the contents of the small bowl, reaching over to fill it again, but Chun Hwa caught his hand over the wine jar.