Chapter 45: Rightful Place

Start from the beginning

"We need to get some food into your system." Esme concluded, looking between Bella and Carlisle worriedly.

"We'll keep trying." Rosalie said entering the room, moving to stand on the other side of Bella. Bella looked up at her, giving Rose a weak smile before she settled her head back into the cushions again.

"Rosalie." Carlisle said dryly. Rosalie's optimism was a bit grating.

We were silent for a moment, just listening to Bella's breathing until the silence was ripped through by a low rumbling in the distance. I bolted upright, my head turning towards the front of the house. "Jacob." I breathed, looking between Carlisle and Edward in panic.

"He's here for you," Edward said to me though his eyes were still on Bella. "He's also heard of Bella's return, after your phone call with Charlie," he spoke to Bella this time, "he called Billy and then he called Sue Clearwater. Seth told them that you were apparently sick. Jacob wants to see for himself."

"He thinks you're a vampire." Carlisle concluded, rubbing over his forehead and then pulling his hand through his golden hair. "He'll want answers."

"Then we'll give him answers." Bella decided, she tried to let her confidence carry her voice but it was no louder than a raspy whisper.

"He's not coming anywhere near them." Rosalie hissed. "Complete scum."

I stood abruptly then and was instantly in front of Rosalie, hissing in her face. "Enough." I spat, ensuring I kept my balled up fists down by my side.

"Rosalie." Esme said quietly trying to soothe the situation. "No more." She was soft speaking but the warning was there. Rosalie accepted her telling off and drifted back to Bella's side.

Jacob's bike had stopped on the driveway outside the house, he was breathing heavily, his thoughts jumbled with the idea of a new Bella and how much he was missing me and how sorry he was. His footsteps crunched lightly on the gravel as he approached, all of us listening intently.

"I'll go." Carlisle said swiftly before he disappeared down the stairs. 

I moved forward slightly, moving to stand in front of Bella so that if Jacob came in, his sight of her would be blocked. He would need to be introduced gradually and calmly to ensure his temper was going to remain intact. Carlisle opened the door before Jacob had the chance to knock.

"Hello, Jacob." He said politely. "How are you?"

Jacob was struggling to cope with the overpowering scents of the Cullens but he pushed through it, he had more urgent matters on his mind.

"Are they both here? I heard Bella made it back alive." Jacob said quickly, he was eager yet reserved. He was trying to control his temper, I was proud.

"Er, Jacob, it's not really the best time." Carlisle said uncomfortably. "Could we do this later?"

"Why can't he just give up?" Rosalie snapped from behind me and I couldn't help the protective growl that rose out my chest.

"Why should he?" Bella rasped. "Are we keeping secrets from Jacob, too? What's the point?"

"It's not safe for you." Rosalie said with a little less acid in her voice.

Bella ignored her. "Come in, please, Jacob." She croaked more loudly so that Jacob could hear downstairs.

My heart began to thud inside my chest and it took everything in me to remain in my place in front of Bella. "Excuse me," Jacob said to Carlisle as he stepped around him and into the house. I wanted nothing more than to leave my post and to run straight into his arms.