Chapter 29 (Part 2)

*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED LISTEN: IF YOU'RE IN THE MOOD TO LAUGH!

Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by Kristen Maglonzo featuring music by Ok Go, The Arctic Monkeys, Blackbear, and Jet.

Elias

"Jersey, breathe."

She doesn't. She hasn't for the past twenty seconds, and if she doesn't open her mouth soon I'm gonna make her.

"Look, I just need a favor to please my dad, okay? Don't freak out."

"I'm not freaking out--"

Too late. She starts squeaking and stuttering and making all kinds of noises before the idea even has a chance to settle in.

"--I'm--I'm just trying to process everything."

"Nah, you're freaking out."

"Well, wouldn't you be?! You're asking me, the girl who harassed your dad over the phone, to take her parent-pissing-off skills a step further and lie to him about being your girlfriend!"

"Sounds about right."

"How is this a good idea, Elias? What if he tells your mom or Tanner about this?"

"He won't. Him and my mom don't talk, and fuck what Tanner thinks."

Jersey folds her arms across her chest and hugs her sides.

"It's just...I don't want to give anyone else anymore reasons to be upset at you, Elias, especially if those reasons aren't true. Technically, we're not even a 'we' right now, we're--"

"In progress," I say.

She lets out a couple frustrated grunts, but hey, at least she's not shooting down the idea of a relationship. Yet.

"We're not 'in' anything. We're just friends."

"Not really, but you can say that if it makes you feel better."

Her face turns so red her skin looks like a stovetop.

Yeah.

She still likes me.

"Woah, woah, woah. We made a deal, remember? No feelings, no flirting--"

"No fun. I know, I get it, but the thing is, I'm all about having fun, Jersey. And making you sweat--"

I lean towards her.

"--right through your clothes--"

She curls her bottom lip between her teeth. Good thing she did or else I would've been tempted to bite it. Real talk.

"--is one of my favorite games."

She inches away from me and backs into the car door.

"Well, I don't like your games--"

Her body sure does.

"--especially when you act like you're genuinely serious about the whole-more-than-friends thing."

"I am serious. You're clearly not over me, and I'm obviously still into you, so why can't we skip the whole plantonic situation, and just--"

I let my hands do the talking and brush the tips of my fingers up the length of her thigh. Her skin's burning under my fingers, so I slow down just to watch her reaction. She parts her lips and sucks in a sharp breath the second I reach the edge of her shorts.