8 - Welcome Home

I arrive at Ana's gone midnight. The lights are off and there is no noise around except from the oceans waves. As much as I feel bad for showing up so late I don't know what else to do, but to be honest I doubt they'll mind. I knock on the door with gentle tap, stupid if they're definitely asleep but I'm just hoping someone is still awake. I stand for a minute listening to the silence from inside before knocking again slightly louder than before. This time, after a few seconds the hall light turns on and the door creaks open, revealing Geoff.

"Jasmine." He immediately pulls me into a hug, "You're back, what changed?"

"Hogwarts. That's what changed."

"Well come in then. Ana and Avery are asleep. Best not to wake them, you look tired yourself. The rooms still up there for you, just how you left it."

I step inside the warmth of their house, as much as I disliked being here for so long before, it's kind of comforting to be back.

"Just head up when you want, I've got to get back to bed though, got to be up early tomorrow. Goodnight, Jasmine."

"Night" I say as he walks off upstairs. I follow a few moments later and head to the room which is classed as mine. I'm exhausted but I feel like I can't sleep due to the amount of thoughts going through my head. I lie down on the bed and look out of the huge window that covers the wall opposite. It's very dark out, there are no stars in the sky to be seen and the moon is barely visible. I could write a letter to Draco from here and it wouldn't be tampered with too badly but I'm not sure that's a good idea anyway, given the state of things. I think I'll just keep up with studies on my own here, to keep me occupied until something happens, because we all know, something will happen.
I lie for a while longer, letting my mind wonder until eventually, I fall asleep.

***

My eyes flicker open, the sky outside is a dull grey. The clock reads 8:13. There's noise from downstairs so I get up, tie my hair up and head down.

"She got here last night, didn't look good."

Geoff is talking to Ana; I stand at the bottom of the stairs waiting to be noticed.

Ana notices me first, "Jasmine, you're back." She comes over and hugs me tight, I put my arms around her loosely to hug back. "You're done with Hogwarts then?"

"Yeah, it's not the same anymore. I had to get out." I say in monotone.

She smiles weakly, "Well that's okay, our doors always open, isn't it, Geoff."

"What?" He looks over, "Oh, yeah. I have to go. I'll see you later."

Ana nods and Geoff leaves through the front door, "Tea?" She smiles to me and I nod.

We sit at the table with Avery in her highchair, eating mango, and we sip at our teas.

"It's great that you're back. It feels like it's been a long time."

"It's been just over a month. And besides, I'm not staying forever." I unintentionally snap at her.

"Oh? When are you leaving again?" She puts her mug down on the table and gives Avery her juice.

"I don't know." I begin, "I've got a lot of things I have sort out really. But honestly, I have no idea."

"Well okay then." She smiles. "Anyway, we're having a little Halloween gathering thing soon, just so you know and now that you're here again you can be involved too. You could invite some friends if you like. Your boyfriend?"

Draco. I need to talk to him, I really do.

"Maybe, yeah."

"Well. Busy, busy. I'm sure you've got stuff planned too, so let's all get on. This is your home too, Jas. So make yourself...well, at home."