13- What We Are

The throne room looked splendidly colorful with blue and white satin draped across the windows, golden plates and silverware lining the elongated table meant to seat a village, and guests in lavish costumes chatting, laughing, and dancing away throughout the grand hall. The liveliness of it all gave the castle an upbeat atmosphere, sorely lacking during the funeral (no surprise). It was a party of a lifetime. The first ever, back from the dead type celebration. And though he wasn't typically a fan of clustered gatherings with loud music and even louder decoration, Keith found himself enjoying every dobash.

Keith sat silently in the corner of the hall, a fizzed drink in his hand, and tie around his neck. Contempt with laying low, he watch as the others enjoyed the festivities. To Keith's left, next to the room's entrance, he caught sight of Hunk and Pidge. Hunk was ogling over the trays of Altean specialties: tasty treats lined around a silver platter, and drinks with an unending amount of bubbling carbonation. Pidge ran her hand across the wall, her eyes bugging behind her round glasses. Ever since they arrived back on Altea, Pidge had done nothing more than drool over the advanced technology, and the little functions that made up the Castle of Lions.

To Keith's right, he saw Shiro chatting with Allura beside her throne. The older man's prosthetic arm was rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, and Keith saw his face was flushed a light shade of pink. They both laughed over a joke Allura told, and met each other's eyes longingly. Well, that was an odd pairing, but Keith supported it. Everyone has a special someone who makes their heart jump, so who was Keith to interfere? Speaking of which, Keith glanced over at Lance.

The Altean Prince nudged the royal advisor, Coran playfully, his posture a bit slack, and eyes blurry. He likely had one too many fizzy drinks. Coran's eyes lit up, as he twirled his bushy mustache with a smile. Being like a second father to Lance, he was glad to finally have his favorite Prince back.

Keith smirked, and took another sip of his drink. When it was done, he placed it down on a nearby hovering tray, and heard the faint buzz of it as it flew off. Keith's eyes couldn't be torn away from Lance. The Altean's face looked so bright and happy. Keith loved the expression he wore. It suited him well.

"Nice party, isn't it comrade?" Alfor smiled, placing a palm on Keith's shoulder.

Keith nearly jumped from his boots. He turned to face Alfor, and hastily bowed. "Your majesty."

The king let out a chuckle, and shook his head, his long, white beard wagging. "No need for that, Keith. We've been through so much together. You've reached the point where you can address me as Alfor."

Keith nodded, and smiled. The exchange reminded him of an earlier time with another certain royal. "I apologize, Alfor." He continued, his smile fading. "For not following through on my task, that is."

"Your task?"

"Yes. You assigned me that task of watching over Lance, and I failed. I let him get out of my sights, and run away." Keith explained, though he wasn't actually sorry. If he could do it over again, he would've let Lance find Blue. Though there were ups and downs, ultimately Keith had never felt happier. Loved by the kingdom, loved by Allura and Alfor, and most of all, loved by Lance.

Alfor let out another laugh, the wrinkles that lined his forehead and eyes creasing. "I assure you, there is no reason to be sorry. No one could have stopped Lance. The real bravery came when you decided to follow after him to an uncertain destination, risking your own life just to make sure he was ok. Most would simply give up, and conclude he was beyond the point of help."

But he never needed helping, Keith thought, all he needed was freedom.

"So, I thank you Keith. For once again doing everything in your power to help me. For protecting, being by Lance's side until the very end, and never giving up on him."