|05|

I  A M  A N   ADD I C T

Years ago, I was addicted to a girl. She broke my heart.

Months ago, I was addicted to alcohol. It numbed the pain.

Today, I am addicted to drugs and everything I know is bad for my body. I need help.

I admit it: I smoke. I drink. I do drugs. I am that guy who is willing to kill himself to find an escape. I'm that guy you always tell your kids to stay away from.

So quick to judge, you didn't even know my story and yet you hated me. And those of you who did are even worse, none of you ever came to help me when I was struggling. Not then. Not now.

You see though: the thing about alcohol and drugs is that they never judge you. They don't say anything. They don't judge you because you have a broken heart and like to drink and party on an occasional basis.

They never come to help you in times of need but they never distance themselves from you either. They are just there, standing still.

Just like you, doing nothing about the situation in hand. The difference however remains that they can't. You chose not to.

So go ahead, judge me for where my broken heart and love for partying has landed me.

Tell your kids to stay away from me. Shoot me dirty looks while I pass you in the halls.

You're just leading me right into the arms of my bad habits, so yes, I am an addict. I'm desperate for an escape.

Escape from people like you.

A/n: "Addiction is an adaptation. It's not you- it's the cage you live in."-Johann Hari

PLEASE READ- SUPER IMPORTANT!

This chapter in no way is promoting or encouraging alcoholism and drug use.

The inner point of the chapter was that everybody ignored the character in times when he genuinely needed their help but still judged him after he turned out how he did.

I am by no way supporting his decision- none of you should go that way. The main point of this entire book is to encourage people to stop judging every one and spread awareness that differences in society exist.

If you see anyone with a problem, at least try to help.

Remember: this is a pure work of fiction.

MY CHARACTER'S OPINIONS DO NOT HAVE TO BE MINE.