The man and woman had some minor cuts and bruises, but their injuries were nothing compared to what must be hidden beneath the bloodstained bandages covering the child's arms and legs.

The boy looked to be about ten or so. His eyes were open, although he just gazed at the ceiling listlessly, not focusing on anything. The smell of painkillers and fever was prominent.

"Trinity," Daniel said quietly, "do you mind keeping an eye on things for a few minutes? Wendy asked to use the bathroom just before you arrived."

It looked like I was babysitting again.

"What do I have to do?"

"If they go into seizures, ensure they don't harm anyone. Pin them if you have to. Otherwise, just stay in the room until I get back."

I nodded and moved to the side to let him and the woman go by. My nostrils flared as she passed; the zombie tang was strong. No wonder Daniel didn't let her go down the hallway by herself – she was too close to turning. The man and child were in the same boat.

The bitter smell clouding the room was a silent testament of how much of the cure Nina had given them. I remained focused on their scents as I watched Nina check the boy's pulse. There was a thick smell, almost like flour, but with a resinous undertone. Since it only came from the three strangers, I assumed it was the sanity serum.

It didn't take long for Daniel and the woman to return. The man stood up for his turn to use the washroom and disappeared down the hallway with his escort. I moved to the other side of the room and sat in a chair.

I sniffed the air again and frowned. "Did you give him the cure?"

The zombie tang in his scent was building even while I sat here. Too quickly. I got to my feet and stood on the other side of the table, more alert now than before.

"No, we didn't," Nina murmured. "Even if the cure worked, he's suffering from severe blood loss and several secondary infections. He wouldn't survive. I only gave him the sanity serum."

"We're going to let Charlie turn," the woman said, looking stricken as she came closer and gazed at her son. "Once he heals, we can use the cure. The doctor says it should work on children like it does on adults, but even if it doesn't, at least he'll be alive."

This was madness. Madness with reason and logic behind it, but it was still madness. Did they have any idea about what they were about to get into?

"Have either of you ever encountered a child zombie?"

When both of them shook their heads, I sighed heavily. "Jess, can you please run – and I mean run – and find some sort of helmet with a mask? Like a baseball helmet or something that might possibly fit this kid and keep him from biting us."

She darted out the door and down the hallway. She wouldn't return in time, but it was a very effective way to get her out of the room so she wouldn't see what was about to happen.

"You think he's going to have problems with control?" Nina inquired, although the way she said it made it sound like a rhetorical question.

"Undoubtedly. Zombie children are hell on wheels. Daniel is going to think Nicky is a breath of fresh air after this. I thought we usually put people in cells when they're about to turn?"

"We usually do, but since he's just a child, Daniel agreed to pin him until he settled down. If needed, we can take him to the cells in the hospital."

"If I thought we had a decent chance of getting there before he turned, I'd say let's pick him up and go, but I don't think we have that much time." I raised my voice. "Daniel, you better encourage that guy to move faster. This kid is about to turn."