Chapter 17 - "You look nice, Sarge."

Carter grabbed her leather jacket off the back of her chair and headed into the living room. As she walked, she slid her arms into the worn material. Light from the lamps illuminated the apartment. He father sat on the couch, his arm in a sling and a computer in front of him. On the coffee table sat stacks of papers and a collection of empty plates and glasses. When Carter walked in, he looked up. His expression froze as he looked at her. She wore boots, skinny jeans, and a simple black v-neck t-shirt. Her hair was loose and hung down just below her shoulders. At her father's stare she scowled and stuffed her hands into the pockets of the jacket.

"Shut up and stop looking at me like that," she said.

Her father shook his head.

"I didn't say anything," he said.

"Your face and thoughts said enough."

She pulled her hands out and gestured to her outfit.

"This is what happens when you go away and leave me with Maggie." Carter made a face. "She takes me shopping and buys me pants without pockets on the side."

Her father gave a low chuckle. "You look nice, Sarge."

Making another face, she waved away his comment. She walked to the door and took her satchel off the hook, pulling it over her head. Her father looked at her as she took a seat on the coffee table before him, studying his worn out face and tired eyes.

"You alright?" she asked.

He shifted, flexing his jaw against to the pain and gave her a weak smile.

"A bit sore but it's nothing I can't handle," he said. He looked at her intently. "Where is it you're going?"

Carter shrugged.

"Movies and possibly a cage fight if I can convince them of it."

"Stick to just the movies, I'm not sure I want you fighting grown men on your own."

Carter scoffed.

"Please, like I would take them on on my own," she said. "Donovan would help me."

Her father gave her a stronger smile. Carter returned it, but then her expression fell slightly.

"I don't have to go, you know. I can stay in and we can watch a movie or something."

"Maggie is going to stop by. I'll be fine."

Carter gave him a sly grin.

"I see," she said. "You want me out of the way so you and Maggie can have some time together."

Her father's expression went flat. She laughed and stood.

"No need to look so pissy, Captain. I'll take Maggie as a step mother any day."

Her father waved a hand.

"Go, before I decide to put you through a set of drills."

Carter stepped over and kissed the top of his head.

"Alright, I'm leaving," she said.

She walked to the door and opened it. A cool gust of wind entered the apartment as she stood in the doorway and turned back.

"Just know if I come home to find you and Maggie making out on the couch, it's dishes for a week.

"Carter!"

She dashed out the door and closed it before her father could rebuke her. The sun had left the sky, giving way to a pale moon and a dusting of stars. Lights from the surrounding apartment building lit up the night. Carter walked down the metal staircase, the sound of her boots on the cold dark steel ringing in the quiet neighborhood. The alley was empty, except for a stray cat that scurried away at Carter's approach. As she was crossing the street to the bus stop, Maggie appeared.