{9} Hide and Kiss

Tasneem Uddin

"You really live here?" I asked, astonished by the spiral staircase.

Ibrahim casually shrugged off his coat, putting it in the closet near the front doors. "Yeah," he said.

My fingers touched the smooth white walls of the house, the carpet was soft under my toes. They were red and brown swirled designs, almost like a carpet made for a king. I glanced at Ibrahim, who was fixing his hair in the mirror beside the staircase. He was as close to a king than anyone else.

I watched as he ran his fingers through his coal black hair, tousling it to one side. When he was satisfied, he gave a small smile at himself through the mirror and dragged his luggage up the staircase.

"You coming?" he asked without looking at me.

I quickly snapped out of my thoughts and nodded.

I followed Ibrahim up the flights of stairs, he led me down a huge hallway with five rooms on one floor. I didn't realize Ibrahim needed this much space in his house, considering the fact that Ibrahim only lived with his little brother.

The hallway seemed endless. It seemed like it could go on forever. I still couldn't get over the beauty of his- our house. It was like a dream I didn't want to wake up from.

Ibrahim stopped walking, turning to me. "This is your room," he opened the door, revealing a huge bedroom with red covers and sheets.

I felt my jaw drop. My bedroom was a dark red color, the curtains were made from heavy red fabric and the bed was a queen sized bed with the same shade. There were multiple pillows piled neatly on the bed and a small shelf of books in the corner of the room. 

The carpet was the same as the floor below, which pleased me even more. On the other side of the room was a small desk filled with notebooks and pens. There was even a bunch of art supplies and canvases beside the desk. I was in awe as I walked deeper into the room.

"This is beautiful," I said softly before pausing. "Wait, we're not sharing a room?"

Ibrahim shook his head. "I like my privacy," he replied.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I thought that since we're a couple-"

"Well, you thought wrong," he interrupted. His eyes were cold as he glanced at me. "Enjoy your new room. If you need anything, I'll be in my office."

He slammed the door on his way out. I flinched at the sound. What was his problem? This morning he was kissing my neck and treating me like his wife and now he was giving me the cold shoulder. We slept in the same bed last night, why couldn't we do the same now? I rubbed my temples. I needed to just give him his space. Maybe after a while he'll grow to love me.

"Nothing in life ever comes easy," I whispered to myself.

I sighed and looked around the room. I better start unpacking, I thought as I pulled my bags on the large bed.

* * * *

Knock Knock.

I quickly put my hijab on. "Come in," I said.

Bashir slowly opened the door. When he saw that I was wearing my hijab, he casually strolled into the room, flopping down on my bed. I smiled at the young boy. He was hitting the age of puberty now so it meant that I had to have my hijab on when he was around.

"To what do I owe this visit?" I asked, amused.

"Ibrahim said to come down for lunch."

I felt my smile drop as I heard his name. My hands went up to gently caress my arms. I felt like Ibrahim didn't even see me as a wife. He acted so different this morning, showing me a glimpse of the small affection he kept hidden. Now, we were back at square one. Bashir noticed my sunken expression and sat back up.