Chapter 17

"Scoot over Pomona," Dumbledore ordered merrily. "We have a guest today at our table."

Professor Sprout dropped her fork in shock as the Headmaster assigned a chair to a student of her own House. The very student Severus insisted on seeing last night.

"What... what is going on?" she stuttered, watching Samara intently as she took a seat between Professor Snape and Dumbledore.

No one bothered to fill her in. The Headmaster just smirked, and Severus' dark eyes roamed the Great Hall. It was packed with students; all of them muttering and glancing secretly over to the teachers' table, obviously as baffled as Professor Sprout.

"Are you uncomfortable?" The Potions Master whispered as his gaze met Samara's worried look.

"A little," she nodded, shifting her focus onto the empty plate in front of her. "Everyone is staring."

"Ms. Jones!" Professor McGonagall grinned, approaching the table. "How wonderful to have you join us!" Her knowing eyes rested on the girl's delicate figure, before turning to Dumbledore. "Ogden's Old Firewhisky it is," she winked.

"Anyone care to explain?" Filius Flitwick pouted, annoyed that everyone else seemed to know what all this was about.

The faculty's heads swung around at once, regarding Professor Snape expectantly. He, however, did not notice. He was too preoccupied with his own thoughts that revolved around the fact that Samara and he were sitting together, side by side, in the Great Hall, in front of faculty, staff, and students. It was then that realization hit him, and it hit him hard. The girl next to him was not just any girl anymore. She was now officially his girl.

His head was spinning, he couldn't grasp a clear thought anymore. Right then, he did something that no one ever at Hogwarts had witnessed. He smiled. And it was not just a slight hint of a smile, it was entirely heartfelt and truly happy.

His colleagues were completely taken aback. Never had they seen him like that, it was unheard of. Was that really Professor Snape, the ever grouchy dungeon bat?

Their jaws dropped as they realized that Severus was gently caressing Samara's face, making her meet his eyes. His index finger softly ran over the contours of her cheeks, down to her jaw, until it found her chin. Lifting it up, he leaned in, and kissed her soft lips.

It seemed as though the entire hall gasped. Only the Headmaster smirked, leaning back in his chair, obviously amused by everyone's puzzlement.

Samara responded to this public display of affection, her fingers running through his long ink-black hair. A comfortable shiver spread down his spine at her touch, and he smiled again, breaking the kiss.

"Well," he suddenly hissed, glaring dangerously at the House tables. The smile had vanished. "Why aren't you all eating?"

Immediately, the students stopped staring and began gulping their food down. Still, it was dead silent. No one dared to speak.

"Albus," Professor Flitwick whispered, leaning forward so he could look at him. "Did you know about this?"

The Headmaster nodded, apparently surprised about that question. "Of course I did."

"I did, too," Minerva stated casually, chewing her sausage. She swallowed before addressing the guest at the table. "Ms Jones, you should eat something, dear."

"I'm not very hungry, thank you, Professor McGonagall," she responded quietly. "Actually, I think I should get ready for my first class." Her eyes darted to Severus, silently asking for permission to leave.

"Of course," he said softly, capturing her face with both hands. She leaned into his touch, smiling tenderly up at him.

"I love you," she mouthed slowly. His response was a short, yet very intense kiss.

Shakily, she stood, and with an embarrassed smile she turned to the Headmaster. "Thank you, Professor Dumbledore, for inviting me."

He nodded, winking. "You're very welcome, Ms. Jones."