Chapter 4

This was ridiculous. It couldn't go on like that. For days now he had been watching Samara attentively for any sign to support what she had written in her journal. There had been some potential proof, like blushing and avoiding his eyes, but that could have had many reasons. He had to put an end to that, and he had to know without a doubt if that girl was indeed in love with him. Him! Of all people. Well, it wasn't unheard of that a student developed some sort of romantic infatuation with an authority figure, it has even happened at Hogwarts once or twice before, although not in a long time. It wasn't that unusual. But with him? He did not remember one single instance where a student had a crush on him. It was ludicrous, to put it mildly. He was never a friendly teacher, he wasn't even approachable. He always saw to it that the hierarchy would be unmistakably clear. And now? Now there was a student who trespassed the border he had erected over the years, and it was threatening, to say the least. On top of that, she apparently fell for him two years ago. Two years! How did he not notice? Maybe because it wasn't true and the entire journal was just a prank? He had to find out, otherwise this would haunt him forever.

His plan was to take effect after dinner. He had asked Ms. Jones to come to his office to pick up her book. She had blushed deeply when he mentioned it, but probably thought he hadn't read it since he had remained his stoic self and hadn't given anything away.

A knock on the door interrupted his brooding.

"Enter," he murmured, knowing all too well who it was.

The door creaked open and the target of his plan stepped into the room.

"Hello, Professor Snape," she breathed nervously. "I'm here to pick up my book."

"I know," he responded coolly. "Have a seat, Ms. Jones." He pointed at the chair opposite from him at his desk.

Hesitantly, she walked over to the chair, clumsily straightened her skirt and robe, and then finally sat down.

"Tea?" he offered casually, gesturing at the cup on the desk.

"Thank you, Professor, but..."

"Drink," he growled threateningly, and the girl quickly did as she was told.

Satisfied, Professor Snape leaned back, crossing his arms.

"Now, what is your name? Age? Status?"

The girl stared at him wide-eyed.

"What did I just drink, Sir?"

"Veritaserum. Very powerful truth potion. Illegal to use on students, but I assume you won't tell anyone that I used it on you. So, back to the questions. Name, age, status."

Her cheeks turned a rosy pink and she swallowed hard before she answered.

"Samara Jones, 18 in a few weeks, half-blood."

He nodded. "Good. Now on to more pressing questions." He unfolded his arms and rested them on the desk, leaning towards her. "Tell me, Ms. Jones." His voice grew dark and quiet. "Do you have a favorite teacher?"

Blood shot to her pretty face, turning it a deep shade of crimson. He could sense that she was fighting to suppress an answer, but she had no choice. The potion did its work.

"Yes... I do."

"Who?" His tone was so casual that it almost sounded disinterested.

"You, Sir."

"Me," he repeated calmly. "And why is that? After all, most students would strongly disagree."

Samara lowered her gaze to her lap as the serum made her respond truthfully. "I have learned a lot from you. You are brilliant."