Chapter 9

What should have been easy was slowly turning into a more and more aggravating task. As much as he tried, the words just seemed to escape whenever he was about to put them into their proper black inky form on the piece of parchment in front of him.

Why was this so difficult? It was only a letter. He had written hundreds, if not thousands, before, and never had he had any trouble formulating his thoughts and intents. Never. Until now.

He let out an annoyed sigh and forced the quill onto the parchment.

Dear Ms. Jones,

You are hereby excluded from attending Potions. Effective immediately.

For a moment, he stared at the words as if trying to comprehend their meaning. No, he couldn't tell her about his decision like that. That was not the appropriate way. She deserved at least an explanation. After all, she hadn't committed a crime. She was just... His heart sank. She just loved him.

Grunting in frustration, he crumpled up the note in his angry fist, and tossed it into the fireplace, letting the flames devour it eagerly.

As he turned back around to his desk, he noticed the parchment he had seized from Mr. Parker the night before. Suddenly, he knew exactly what to write.

Dear Ms. Jones,

As discussed, I brought the issue to Professor Dumbledore's attention, who left it up to me to decide about your future in my class. Before I inform you of my decision, allow me to recount last night's events, for they might clarify my reasoning.

Mr. Parker, along with two other boys from my house, broke into the Potions classroom. I walked in just as they were collecting the necessary ingredients for Polyjuice potion. Now, given your knowledge and skills you have proven over the years, I don't think I need to provide an explanation of the potion in question, as you undoubtedly know its purpose.

I was also able to attain the list of ingredients Mr. Parker desired, since he foolishly brought it along. This list confirms that they were planning to brew said potion. Why am I telling you this? I am telling you this because I know, and I am sure you do as well, that Mr. Parker is rather smitten with you. However, he is aware of your infatuation with me. Can you see the correlation?

As I am writing this, Mr. Parker's handwritten notes are right before me. The last ingredient on the list is the item that is needed for Mr. Parker to assume the appearance of the person he chose. Do you know what it says?

Snape's hair.

Now, I can only guess as to why he wants to take on my appearance, but given the circumstances... Well, it is quite self-explanatory, isn't it?

You see, it would be very unwise to provide even more breeding grounds for similar incidents, and this I would do, if I allowed your participation in Potions any longer.

I hope you understand.

Sincerely,

Professor S. Snape

P.s.: I will send your diary back to your room. I would advise you protect it with a spell. And if I may give one more advice – I'm not oblivious. I saw your tear-stained face this morning. Don't think I don't take notice. It is not worth shedding tears over love. And I am certainly not worthy of either.

The professor quickly stuffed the letter into an envelope and called for a house-elf. With a loud bang, a small creature wrapped in an old towel apparated.

"Here," Severus grumbled as grouchy as ever. "Take this to Ms. Samara Jones." He shoved the mail into the elf's eager hands. "Also," he retrieved the diary from one of the drawers in his desk. "Take this to her dormitory. Put it on her bed. Or better yet, put it under her pillow. Make sure no one else finds it."

The elf bowed devotedly. "Of course, Sir. I'm on my way."

Another ear-splitting bang, and the little creature was gone.