1: I Lie to a Hot Guy

WPOV

Listen. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but I resent the Camp Half Blood campfires. Not all children of Apollo get the amazing singing genetics, and while I can appreciate listening to my sibling's talent, I dread the days when the cabin asks me to actually participate. It doesn't make any sense—my voice is horrible, and I think my siblings are aware. When they need me to pitch in, they usually send Austin or Kayla to soften the blow, and even they wince a little when they ask me. That's not even subtle! Get some talented kid from another cabin to lead the songs.

I usually find a way to weasel my way out of responsibility. I've only attended the bare minimum number of campfires since arriving at camp, and the rest of the time I make some comment about the infirmary being understaffed, and they happily let me go work on that so they can find someone else to fill my spot, saving their ears from my horrible screeching.

Unfortunately, today I seem to be feeling extra irrational; something in my gut is telling me that maybe today, the campfire could be fun. If I sneak in, maybe no one will notice I'm there, and I can experience the fire without being expected to sing. I'm not sure why I suddenly want to go, but I haven't been able to keep my mind off the fire all day.

Even my patients are starting to notice that I'm distracted.

"Uh, Will?" says Percy. I startle and glance over at him, and he nods his head at the bandages in my hands. "Why do you have bandages?"

I blink at the bandages in my hands. I had been moving on autopilot as I considered the risks (my dignity) and benefits (nothing...?) of going to the bonfire tonight. Because I hadn't been paying attention, I had grabbed bandages instead of ambrosia. My cheeks heat up a little bit from embarrassment. "Sorry. I'll, uh, be right back."

I turn on my heel to grab the ambrosia from the storage room in the back of the infirmary and to return the bandages. Percy had been complaining about migraines recently, and eventually Annabeth got tired of it and sent him here to get treated.

I wander down the hall of the infirmary. It's not quite so busy right now, so the halls are empty—after battles, we fill the halls with makeshift beds, and walking down the hall means passing people who are barely cleaning to the final strings of life. But in times like this, when it's quiet, the hallway in the middle of the infirmary is a quiet reprieve from the intensity of the patients' rooms.

I get to the storage room and grab the ambrosia this time. I set the bandages back on the shelf, cursing myself for embarrassing myself, and then I head back to Percy. He doesn't need a large dose, so I give him only a small piece to help his head. He gives me one last confused look on his way out—I've never made a mistake in front of him before.

When it's time for the bonfire, I find a hoodie and put it on. I'm not sure exactly what color it is because I'm still searching for my soulmate, but it looks pretty dark, so I'm hoping it'll help me remain somewhat unnoticed at the fire.

I have to assign infirmary duties to someone else if I'm going to sneak out. I wander the halls of the infirmary, peaking my head into patient rooms to try to find someone who might be willing to take on a little bit more responsibility tonight.

I find Kayla sitting with a young girl from the Demeter cabin, holding her hand as the girl tells an animated story about winning Capture the Flag last week. I knock on the doorframe, and both girls look up.

"Oh, hey," greets Kayla. "If this is about the patient in room six, I told Charon—"

"Actually, it's not about a patient," I say, though now I'm suspicious that the patient in room six hasn't been taking her medication like I'd ordered. I'll have to—