She cursed as she was pulled to her feet, her eyes going to Hannah who was cuffing her wrists together, a smug look on her face as she did so.

'Brinley Kane, you are under arrest. Charges are treason and attempted murder.'

Brinley ignored the panic swelling in her chest. 'Attempted Murder? More like self defence.'

Hannah's expression turned cold. 'Get her out of here. I'll tell the Chancellor.'

*****

Monty could do nothing but watch as his mother walked away after revealing Brinley's capture to both himself and Bellamy.

Once his mother was out of sight, Monty turned to Bellamy, trying to gauge a reaction from the older man. Monty was terrified for Brinley now that they knew exactly what Pike was capable of – would she suffer the same fate? Or would Pike be lenient? Brinley was a powerful ally to have after all...

'Bellamy...' Monty trailed off, unsure of what to say. Worry for Brinley's safety was clouding all rational thought.

'No. No, this wasn't supposed to happen.' Bellamy muttered to himself, his hands running through his hair as he looked at Monty. 'I have to see her.'

'Bellamy, Pike won't allow-'

'He has no reason not to. I've done what he asked.' Bellamy's voice was firm even though his hands were shaking violently, his mind focused solely on Brinley's wellbeing.

'Then I'm coming too.' Monty decided.

'No.' Bellamy denied. 'I need to do this alone.'

Monty watched Bellamy for a moment more before he grudgingly agreed. 'What do you want me to do?'

'For now? Lay low. I'll find you later.'

Monty nodded, watching as Bellamy made his way towards Pike's office.

*****

No words could accurately describe the amount of fear that was coursing through Bellamy's veins like poison.

Pike wasn't in his office, and the guards outside the door had no idea where he had gone so all Bellamy could do was wait and pray that Brinley wasn't already in the holding cell.

Once she was in there, he'd never be able to get her alone.

Bellamy heard footsteps, looking up to find Pike coming towards him, looking unsurprised to see him there. 'Bellamy. I take it you heard the news?'

'Where is she?' Bellamy asked immediately. 'I need to see her.'

'I don't think that's a good idea.' Pike denied and at Bellamy's outraged expression he added. 'It's a conflict of interest.'

'Sir, please-'

'Bellamy-'

'Did she tell you anything?' Bellamy asked, searching desperately for a way to get Pike to agree to let him see her.

'No.' Pike reluctantly revealed. 'She didn't say much at all.'

'Then let me see her. I can get her to talk.' When Pike still looked like he wasn't going to agree, Bellamy added, 'I've done everything you asked, please, let me do this.'

Pike deliberated for a moment before he sighed. 'Fine, but I need answers Bellamy. This isn't a social visit. She is a criminal, do not forget who she is and what she has done.' Pike's words held a warning.

Hope filled Bellamy for a moment though he didn't let it show. 'Yes, sir.'

Pike looked at the guard behind him. 'Take him to see Miss Kane.'

'Yes sir.'

*****

Brinley felt sick.

Every part of her was screaming at her to escape, and yet she could do nothing but sit and wait. There were guards posted outside the door, and Pike had promised that should she try anything, the people she cared about would pay the price.