Chapter 5

"Why are you suddenly acting like a gentleman which you obviously aren't?" Vidhushi asked in a serious tone. Why would she be polite with someone who was responsible for ruining her first impression upon her new guide?

"Look, I know that our behaviour yesterday was unacceptable. But we seriously had no clue about your intentions." Advith tried to explain himself.

"I think the first thing that should come out of your mouth is an apology!" She demanded.

That made him raise his brows. This woman was so persistent on the whole apology thing.

"Fine! I am sorry!" He muttered.

"Good." She said and walked towards the TO's cabin without even sparing him a glance.

That really hurt his pride.

"So, you are a research fellow!" He asked trying to follow up with her pace.

No reply. She completely ignored him. She knew what he was trying to do. Ruining her time again. She made a mental note and decided that this man was intended to distract her mind.

"Come on! Are you going to ignore me now?" He asked.

Vidhushi came to a halt and faced him.

"Yesterday you were boasting so much about how busy you were. Aren't you busy today?" She asked.

"Actually I am not. I came to visit my uncle. And look at the coincidence. My uncle is your guide! Isn't the world too small?"

"Thanks for the conclusion." She answered and entered the TO's cabin.

After fifteen minutes of understanding her work she finally came out. She was expected to run an FTIR of twenty samples.

At first, she was upset to get such an easy task to do. There was nothing new in it. But when the TO said that it was straight orders from Dr. Nambudiri, she did not object. After all, she was a student and it is expected of students to listen to their teachers.

As soon as she came out, her eyes narrowed. Advith was waiting for her outside.

"I want to correct my mistake. How about I treat you with a coffee!" He offered.

"No thanks." She replied and went in the search of the lab. It was on the next floor as she was informed.

"Why? Just a few minutes ago you were dying to get an apology from me!" He said.

"First, I was not dying to get an apology from you. And second, you have already apologized." She replied walking up the stairs.

To her great horror, he followed her.

"Why are you following me?" She asked in irritation.

Advith stopped for a while. She was right! Why was he following her when she clearly denied him and his offers. He wondered the same thing. He had never done such a thing. And, following a woman like this was clearly not what he was taught.

"Yeah! Okay! I am sorry!" He mumbled and turned around to leave. After some ten steps, he turned around to look at her again, when he found the place that she just occupied empty.

She really went away.

'How rude!' That was his last thought before he finally went his way.

On the other hand, while Vidhushi worked, she kept on thinking about the way she talked to this guy named Advith. Her conscience continuously blamed her for being so harsh. But the other part of her brain certified her behaviour as fine. The world is cruel. She had found out this when her father left the world, leaving her and her mother alone. It was then when she finally realized the cruelty of all this 'hi' and 'how are you'.