Success Part 58

The next day I could think of nothing else, but the dream.

The dream was so overwhelming, it forced me to go back to the priest to tell him about it.

He looked at me in amazement and said: "God told you to take the first step and He Himself will take over and help us to save the children.  He showed us the way.   I know of a nursery school that needs someone for the next three months.   One of their staff members will be on maternity leave for the next three months.

They are prepared to train you while you are working there.  The salary is not much, but you need training.   You will learn the skills you need to teach the little ones and to keep them busy.   Keep your eyes and ears open and make notes and lists of everything we would need to start our own nursery school.

That will be the first step.  There is still a long way to go.  In the meantime, I will ask the community to help with donations and work, like the fencing and the "Jungle Gym." He smiled encouragingly.

"It was like a tiny flame, wavering in a soft breeze.  Hope, however small, it gave me something to cling onto.  When I started at the nursery school I found it really hard, especially the first day. Several times that day, I had to turn my face away to prevent the little ones from seeing the tears in my eyes.  It was hard, working with the little ones while I missed my own child so badly.

On the other hand, to touch them and cuddling them helped to soothe the pain.  I handled them the same way I handled Thandi.   I cuddled them a lot and they were so generous with their hugs and kisses.  They trained me to understand their needs.  The staff was awesome and understanding.  They supported me and showed me ways to keep the little ones occupied and to stimulate their eager minds."

"So, that is how the nursery school started?" Tracey asked in amazement.

"Four months later we were able to open the school with twenty children between six months and three years.  When the priest went public with the idea, the community was awesome, they helped with blankets, cupboards, toys and even fencing.  Their pride and joy are what they call "The Jungle Gym" over there." Gertrude showed with her hand to the playground, made up with colorful drums, a treehouse and a slide with swings next to it.

"I had another difficult task, I had to get sponsors. Some retail stores were generous and sponsored mattresses, mugs, dishes, and spoons, but a lot of them turned me down.  One hardware store sponsored us with a nice wooden cabin for our first classroom."

"How many children do you have at the moment?" Tracey asked.

"It is four years later and we have eighty children with four teachers and four classrooms," Gertrude answered.

"You never regretted starting the nursery school?" Tracey asked.

"No, I was invigorated by the idea of doing something to keep Thandi's memory alive.  I still can't think of any better way to do that and I'm so happy to work with the children.   God has His own way to show us what to do, I couldn't have done it on my own.   We just need to keep our minds open to Him and He will show you the way.

Thandi will always have a special place in my heart and in the hearts of many people.   God blessed me with another little girl, you know Rosi, luckily it was tonsillitis and not measles as I thought that day."

"She looks a lot like Thandi, you can see they are sisters.  Thank you, Gertrude, this is an amazing story of despair, hope, courage, and love.  What did you do with Rosi while she was sick?   I remember how worried you were that day at the hospital." Tracey asked.

"I have an amazing friend, her name is Lindie, she is only seventeen years old and runs an orphanage, she looked after Rosi for a few days.   She feeds the orphanage from her vegetable garden here behind the church.  Let me introduce you to her, maybe you can use her story for your next social study project.

"Thank you, Gertrude, I think I'm going to ace my Social studies with such amazing friends."

"We should meet up once a month on Sundays after church, let us know when it suits you," Gertrude said and hugged Tracey before she left.