Struggle Part 75

"Linette, this is delicious, why doesn't mine taste so nice?" Thea asked.

"You must be hungry because it's your recipe.  I'm not a cook." Linette smiled.

"Well this is superb, I should get the recipe from you, then Father John and I can have something else than rolls with sausages and salad for supper," Gregory said when he noticed the pink blush on Linette's face.

"Gregory, would you mind helping us carry the coffin on the day of the funeral?" Thea asked.

"It will be an honor for me to be able to help you in that way." He answered.

"Thank you so much, we don't have a lot of men in our family and that helps a lot, now we can get the pamphlet printed." She said.

Linette look at the rest of her food on her plate and then the tears welled up in her eyes. "I still can't understand why he did it."  She said.  "What on earth could make him doing such a horrible thing?"

Thea bit her lip: "I'm not sure if I should mention it, but I found divorce papers in the safe when I was looking for the insurance papers.  She was filing for a divorce."

Linette's face turned into utter shock and then it made a place for enormous pain.  Gregory jumped up and caught her before she fell.  He held her close to him in a tight hug.

Thea stood up from the table and put the kettle on, so that's why he killed her sister, he didn't want a divorce; "I'll make us some tea."

"I should have stopped them," Linette mumbled through her sobs and tears. "They could have talked it over or asked for help."

"You couldn't do anything, it went on for too long, she should have done it years ago." Her aunt said softly and Linette shot her a defied look.

"I mean it was just a struggle years ago, but it became a raging war and look at how it ended."

"It just went too far.  I can't take it anymore.  I'm exhausted and the funeral still lies ahead of us.  What did you do Gregory to help you forget about everything."  Linette asked as she started stirring her tea and he let go of her.

"I threw myself into my schoolwork when everybody saw me studying they left me alone and didn't see my silent tears.  When it became too hard, I would clean up the garden and sweat all those feelings out, but since I started horse riding, it sort of helped me to put it all behind me."

"That's a very good idea," Thea said, "I'll take the both of you tomorrow to the riding school that Christa attended, there's nothing as good as a little bit of fresh air to heal wounds."

"Will you go?  I'm sure you would like it and it will take your mind off all of this for a while." Gregory asked.

"I went with Christa for a few times, you just have to make sure they give me a tamed horse, I'm not good at it."

" Don't fear, I'll take care of it." He said with a tender smile.