Appointment Part 14

His mother's leniency came as a surprise to John.   He put all his effort in to pass the exams.

While studying science one night, a nasty pain in his chest forced him to lie down. "Oh no, not now," he mumbled.  I'm only halfway through the exams.  I'll better cope with this and make sure that Mom doesn't notice anything.  What if Lance was right?

After he rested a while, the pain subsided, but it started again as soon as he got tired.  It forced him to lie down for long periods in the afternoons.  I'll have to go for that tests the day after the exams, I can't put it out with one day, he decided.

"Mom would you please make the appointment for those tests for the day after tomorrow?" he reminded his mother the day before he wrote his last paper.

"I've made it already John, I'm glad you think of your health too," she said.

Two days later doctor Miller looked at the lab tests and the x - rays in his hands.  His face revealed his concern.  "I hope this will not be too discouraging John, but I have to inform you that you have metastasis in your right lung.  According to the x-rays, it seems to be encapsulated.  If we are lucky it can be removed without spreading."

Sylvia Becker opened her mouth to say something, but instead of words,  tears started rolling over her cheeks.  The last two weeks was stressful and the outcome of the tests was weighing her down.  She remembered John's words after the previous boot of chemo.  "I would rather die than going through that again," he said. Now he is facing it again.

John saw it and embraced her hand, "Mom, don't worry, I'll be fine, luckily I finished the exams," he said uncertainly.

"Misses Becker I have arranged with the surgeon to operate tomorrow morning at eight.  I would like John to stay in the hospital tonight.  It is better to do it as soon as possible," doctor Miller said.

"How long will he be in hospital doctor?" Sylvia dared to question.

"We'll have to start with chemo as soon as he can take it after the operation, it will be a pretty hard time for him, but he proofed to be a tough guy in the past." The doctor smiled encouragingly.

John was still trying to comfort his mother when a nurse arrived to show him his room.  He felt guilty when he left her.  Maybe he shouldn't have insisted on writing the exams.  Still, I have something to look forward to, after the dreadful chemo.  I'm sure I'll make it.

He shuddered as he think of the previous boot of chemo.