Chapter 17: Birth of the White Fox

En başından başla

-"Very well wangfei..."

Mingxia Jie then gave him the money and turned around before saying:

-"I'm going out during the time that you are gone."

-"Are you taking guards?"

-"No."

Mingxia Jie continued to her inner rooms, she was exhausted and decided to go take a nap before leaving. When she woke up, she felt much more refreshed. Mingxia Jie had asked Lifen to bring three pairs of male clothing. She was changed into the male clothing by Lifen, and her hair was done by Lan. Both maids then quickly changed into their disguises as well. He'er had been left in the courtyards to make sure that no one would become suspicious.

As they snuck out of Kangxi wangfu's side door, the lanterns of the city had already been lit. Although it was still early and the sun hadn't set just yet. As they begun to stroll around the city, multiple women stared at Mingxia Jie. Her disguise hid all her feminine features and a delicate handsome youth was what the women saw. Soon enough women began to throw flowers and fruit at her, although Lifen and Lan tried to protect her, she felt like she was burdening them. So she grabbed both their hands and sprinted away.

The crowd became excited and they began to chase after the group. Soon enough Mingxia Jie had lost both Lan and Lifen in the crowd. She could not take the time to look and continued to run. Her hand was grabbed and she was pulled down multiple twists and turns in alleys. Upon losing the happy crowd, both Mingxia Jie and her saviour were quite tired.

She looked up at the person who saved her. It was a man with bright blue eyes and snow white hair that looked like a spiders' web. He was perfectly sculpted by the gods, with jade white skin, thin lips, and dark eyebrows. Though when she looked into his eyes, a hidden sadness laid beneath them that seemed to be trapped. Mingxia Jie stared at the man with blank eyes; the man stared and smiled a heartfelt smile. If Mingxia Jie hadn't seen so many gorgeous men in both her previous and current life, she would have surely drooled.

-"Ouch. So cold. Are you always like this?"

-"Yes."

-"Will you tell me your name?"

-"Only if you tell me yours first."

-"Fine. You got me, I'm Bai."

-"Just Bai? Doesn't that mean white?"

-"You are right, but alas I won't tell you my last name til you give me yours."

-" I'm Ming."

"Just Ming?"

"Yes, and I won't tell you my last name to you give me yours."

Mingxia Jie went back and forth with Bai, but she never got a direct answer from him. She knew nothing of him, his background or if he really was Bai. But all that sat in the back of his head as she walked and discussed with him. As they turned down a street, a flash of red and white caught her eyes. As she approached the stall, a white half faced fox mask lay on the table with camellias painted on top with gold outlines on the eyes and the camellias surrounding the corner of the mask. She asks the man running the stand how much it was and realizes she forgot the money with Lifen.

Bai came up behind her and asked if that was the mask she had wanted, although the festival had not yet arrived. Many were already preparing. Mingxia Jie didn't like to owe anyone so she looked at Bai and told him not to, but by the time she said so he had already bought the mask. As she looked at the mask she began to hum Fox's Rain and Snow. Bai was caught off guard by the song choice; he hadn't expected to hear this song after buying a fox mask. Mingxia Jie thought to herself 'The Devil's made is no more; I have been reborn into the White Huli Jing.' She stared at the mask and held it to the lantern light. Half the mask was bathed in a light red hue from the red lanterns and the other half was bathed in darkness.

 Half the mask was bathed in a light red hue from the red lanterns and the other half was bathed in darkness

[Mingxia Jie's newly aquired mask]

__________________________________________________

-白 (bai) meaning "white, pure"